PDA

View Full Version : Who likes this AJs? -- Top pair flopped, preflop + flop aggression

MasterShakes
11-30-2004, 01:18 AM
This is a very loose and typically passive table. The preflop 3-bet almost surely means AK, AA or KK. I am multitabling so I have no read on particular players. It's a marvelous table though.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (20 SB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, SB calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP3 calls, CO folds, SB calls, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (17 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+2 checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, SB folds, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls.

River: (20 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, UTG+2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 26 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 26 BB, between Hero and MP3.</font>

private joker
11-30-2004, 01:22 AM
Raise the flop the first time around, and cap it if the CO still 3-bets it. You wanna jam this hand -- top pair and a great draw.

Turn is cool; betting will only yield a raise and you don't want to spent 2BB to see a heart. Rest plays itself. Man, if this is the way micro-limit plays...

Zetack
11-30-2004, 01:24 AM
I assume since he didn't cap that he didn't have the straight flush and you dragged it.

Just thought I'd point out that if you were playing 3/6 you'd have dragged a 152 dollar pot...come join us, the water's fine!

--Zetack

MasterShakes
11-30-2004, 01:27 AM
I thought about raising that first time around. The fact that I was 3-bet preflop really did worry me about whether my A was good at this table. AK and AA were both definite possibilities here. Thus, I wanted to let more people in if possible for multiway action. I really was thinking and hoping that the preflop 3-bet would raise again, and he did, sucking in all those in the middle.

The problem with raising right away on the flop is that if he's on AK or AQ, there's no way I'm pushing him out.

private joker
11-30-2004, 01:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

The problem with raising right away on the flop is that if he's on AK or AQ, there's no way I'm pushing him out.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't want to push anyone out with the nut flush draw. Get as many customers as possible to toss dead money in when you hit your flush 35% of the time. And if you don't hit the flush, you probably also have J outs (unless he's got AA). So you might win something like 40% of the time.

MasterShakes
11-30-2004, 01:32 AM
Thanks for the encouragement. I plan to be there by the time the year is over, and I plan to play it for a living next year just as a test run before I graduate. I have beaten everything up to 2/4 quite soundly for well over 10K hands each. I'm just paying the rent for a few months until I build the proper roll.

MasterShakes
11-30-2004, 01:33 AM
So if I don't want to push anybody out, and I'm fairly certain this 3-better will raise if I just call, why would I want to raise the first time around?

private joker
11-30-2004, 01:37 AM
Because raising yourself allows him to 3-bet, and then you can cap. It gets an extra bet in on the flop. As it stood, you called, he raised, and you 3-bet, and he just called. One fewer bet each, hence less money in the pot when you take down this monster with your nut frush.

MasterShakes
11-30-2004, 01:40 AM
If I raise the flop right away, I leave the person immediately to my left facing 2 bets cold. If he 3 bets, that leaves UTG and SB facing 3 cold. I managed to suck in up to 3 more players for 3 bets each. Also, the initial better may even fold facing 2 cold the second time around.

MasterShakes
11-30-2004, 10:45 AM
(Bump)

I was hoping to get some more comments on this. Is the way I played the flop proper. My read says there's a good chance that the CO will raise if I just call the first time around. There are other players that I want to keep in. Am I right in doing this? I assume that if I do want to keep these players in that I went about it the right way. If I raise the first time around, CO will 3-bet, making it tougher to suck others in.