PDA

View Full Version : My experiences moving up, from .5-1 to 2-4 to 3-6 (limit)

null
11-30-2004, 01:02 AM
I started playing limit seriously in October, at the .5-1 level at Party. I decided that once I was reasonably satisfied that I was a winning player, I'd move up. And if I was a losing player, I'd move up too. Because at lower limits no one respects your raises, and your AA gets cracked by 72o on the river, a victim of the schooling effect (I'm kidding, I'm kidding).

From what I read on the forums, 1-2 was full of rocks, since loose players are drawn to the 6-max games. So, I resolved to jump from .5-1 to 2-4 once I had the recommended 300 BB.

I found that play at .5-1 was, as you all know, horrible (in a good way). Reading SSHE served me well, and I did well at that level. I finally signed up for a rakeback deal at Empire, which I should have done a long time ago. I also ordered a 22" monitor, and started 4 tabling, which I continued to do through 2-4 and currently 3-6. A dual monitor setup is pretty sweet for poker, I recommend it to all that don't have it. I'm thinking about replacing my old 17" monitor with another 22" (or an LCD), and cranking it up to 6 tables, but for now 4 tables is good.

I ended my stay at .5-1 with 5.13 BB/100 average over 14,035 hands. I was somewhat concerned that my game wasn't totally solid for 2-4, since I had seen others post much higher winrates at .5-1, but I had also seen people argue that winrates over 4 BB/100 were unsustainable. I was thinking about posting one of those "Should I move up?" posts full of pokertracker stats, but reading bisonbison's bitching about them convinced me not to. Plus I've got the impression that people get too serious about moving up in limits, when it's not always that big a deal. I moved up to 2-4 with somewhere around 400 BB, well above my goal of having 300 BB.

At first 2-4 seemed much tighter that .5-1, but I found that with good table selection things were much better. The tables rarely approached the looseness of .5-1, and there was more aggression, but it wasn't the constant fight for the blinds that it first appeared.

Right off the bat I hit a very bad run. At its worst point, it was a -111 BB downswing. Some of it was probably bad play, and adjusting to the higher level, but most of it was getting drawn out on repeatedly. It took me a bit over 5,000 hands to get back into the black, and at that point I was only up about 50 bucks for all of my trouble. Finally I began winning at a steady clip. I finished my stay at 2-4 yesterday, with 15,518 hands at 2.85 BB/100. I know this isn't that high of a winrate compared to what some can get at 2/4, but I hit that long downswing, plus my sample size is small.

I just started playing 3-6 yesterday. After 1,000 hands, my impression is that it's much tighter and more aggressive than 2-4. I'd say that the gap between .5-1 and 2-4 is much smaller than the gap between 2-4 and 3-6. 3-6 is more aggressive, people are less willing to cold call raises, and are more willing to fold their blinds to a raise. Hands that I used to get paid off with all the time don't get paid off as much anymore. The blind structure and the increased preflop raising have dropped my VPIP considerably.

Of course, it's not that bad. So far, things are going well. I found a guy raising/capping Q5s preflop at one of the first 3-6 tables I sat down at. Again, I'm finding that game selection is crucial. I'm going to stay at 3-6 for a long while, and I'll start actually posting hands in Small Stakes. I really didn't do that enough, I don't think I posted any 2-4 hands (I posted a few .5-1).

I'm interested in hearing other people's experiences moving up, or any comments you have for me.

ProfLupin
11-30-2004, 02:19 AM
sounds like you're doing well and keeping things in perspective. 3/6 is a great limit to learn the game. You can find profitable tables and at the same time have some blind defense situations that rarely pop up in the micro limits. Keep plugging away, get a lot of hands under your belt, and consider trying 6max tables when you move up to 5-10. It will greatly improve your poker game in the long run to get some short-handed experience. Good luck.

Sixth_Rule
11-30-2004, 03:04 AM
i've spent alot of time moving up the limts
mostly because i could only put in like 8 hours a week until recently.
.5 1 Very loose.... but alot to learn for beguinners
1-2 is a very strange limit and i didn't stay long but i did show a profit on the 10 max tables
2-4 Won most of my money here, pretty easy. I think i withdrew 3000 overall
3-6 i wasn't really comfertable with my bank roll so after going up 500 at this level i took 400 out and then lost 1000 in 4 days. I wasn't comfterble with having only 1000 foor this level fo have since moved back to 2-4 . At This level there are more semi-pro's to balacne out the idiots

Macdaddy Warsaw
11-30-2004, 04:36 AM
I moved from 1/2 SH to 2/4 to 3/6. I played 15k hands at 3/6 and found the tables to be too tight and not as easy to play as the earlier levels. I was adequately bankrolled for 5/10SH, so I took a shot and have been at that level since.

I don't think that's such a bad move if you have the BR and can play SH.

imitation
11-30-2004, 10:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
found a guy raising/capping Q5s preflop at one of the first 3-6 tables I sat down at

[/ QUOTE ]

This is actually expert play =D

Phil Van Sexton
11-30-2004, 10:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
my impression is that it's much tighter and more aggressive than 2-4.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming you have PokerTracker. If so, it will tell you how tight your opponents were with the ASF stat (Average Saw Flop). I believe this is on the Session tab. You should be able to figure out the ASF that you've seen at .50/1, 2/4, and 3/6.

My ASF at 3/6 party is 36% over about 6000 hands (small sample, I know).

btw - Great job overcoming the -111 BB downswing. Good luck at 3/6.

meep_42
11-30-2004, 11:48 AM
I wish I had that kind of time to play. :P

I started about when you did and have just started dabbling in 1/2 (22.1BB/100 so far! /images/graemlins/wink.gif ). Looking forward to catching up to you someday.

-d

null
12-05-2004, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone. Here's an update: I'm getting destroyed at 3/6 /images/graemlins/frown.gif.

After some initial success I was up around 40BB, then I hit a huge losing streak. Currently I'm at -159 BB for the level. I had a bit of a comeback yesterday but then another run bad run later on.

I know that part of my negative results are due to tilt and bad play, but a lot of them are due to bad luck (variance, whatever). I've had a bunch of big hands lose, sets to flushes, straights to flushes, AK single pairs to AA or KK, etc. I think that I'm calling down too much when I'm beaten due to the emphasis that's been put on play in large pots in SSH and this forum.

Here come the pokertracker stats:

7,199 hands
VPIP 16.39
PF Raise 8.29
Went to SD 33.13%
Won $ at SD 47.90%

QQ Win % 34.62%
JJ Win % 40.54%

Total Aggression factor 2.38

I know I've made some chip spewing plays, but I think I've been running bad. The only real benefit is that I'm starting to understand what people have been saying about sample size and variance, and how bad one can run. I'm going to post some hands in small stakes, any general advice you have is appreciated.

BusterStacks
12-05-2004, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
found a guy raising/capping Q5s preflop at one of the first 3-6 tables I sat down at

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, was this me? I did this last night.

bicyclekick
12-05-2004, 05:43 PM
I had a similar experiance about a year ago. I got up to 2800 profit and dropped down to 700. partly from 3/6, partly from 2/4 and partly from some tourneys.

My guess is you're probably an ok player. You dont have much experiance and it appears you're actulaly being far too aggressive. 2.4 or whatever it was is way too high, especially for 2/4 3/6.

Relax a little bit, play 2/4 and get some more experiance under your belt.

null
12-05-2004, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, was this me? I did this last night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, this was last Sunday.

null
12-05-2004, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I had a similar experiance about a year ago. I got up to 2800 profit and dropped down to 700. partly from 3/6, partly from 2/4 and partly from some tourneys.

My guess is you're probably an ok player. You dont have much experiance and it appears you're actulaly being far too aggressive. 2.4 or whatever it was is way too high, especially for 2/4 3/6.

Relax a little bit, play 2/4 and get some more experiance under your belt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I probably am being too aggressive with stuff like missed AK and AQ. I don't really want to drop back down, since I still have the roll to remain, and I feel that I can beat 3/6 if I improve my game.

Greg J
12-05-2004, 06:30 PM
Nice post. I appreciate these kinds of stories, as they are really enlightening. I'm taking a MUCH slower route, but still like to read about people moving up and how they deal with it. Unlike you I think I will do my time at 1/2 (despite have the BR for 2/4), as soon as I can get my winrate at .5/1 somewhere that is NOT anemic.

Sorry to hear about yr downslide at 3/6. Hope things turn around for you soon!

Megenoita
12-05-2004, 06:32 PM
Considering the nature of party skin games, do you all think it is better to skip 1/2? For the last few weeks, I've found the full table games considerably tighter, and almost every time a game is good, soon it tightens up. Everyone is playing 6 max, I guess. Should a winning player move up to 2/4 sooner because of this? That is, sooner than they would have if 1/2 full tables were good. The 2/4 games seem to be more plentiful in full tables.

M

bicyclekick
12-05-2004, 06:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I probably am being too aggressive with stuff like missed AK and AQ. I don't really want to drop back down, since I still have the roll to remain, and I feel that I can beat 3/6 if I improve my game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I konw you don't want to move down. I bet you'd make more money at 2/4 than 3/6 as it seems like you have some leaks to plug. You'll get punished less. Maybe you're not even a winning 3/6 player either.

null
12-05-2004, 07:59 PM
Yeah, you may be right. During the worst of the downswing I was wondering if I was even a winning player, and I'm still not sure I can beat 3/6. But I still see bad players and bad play. If things don't improve this week, maybe I will drop back down.