PDA

View Full Version : bad beat or bad play?

paytosee215
11-30-2004, 12:40 AM
This hand has been bugging me since saturday night, please evaluate my play during every part of this hand.

Pokerroom 30+3 tournament
11 players remaining out of original 220
Average stack is around 28000 chips
I have about 25000 chips, ranked 6 of 11 players left

I am in small blind with 45s, everybody folds to me, so I decide to call (should I have folded?) I figured I would play my low suited connectors. The BB checks and the flop comes 4 6 7 rainbow. Considering I hit straight draw AND a low pair, I bet on the flop (my bet was 1 BB, shoud I have bet bigger?). I get raised up to 2 BB and call.

The turn is an 8 and ive hit my straight 8 high. I bet and get raised to all-in. At this point I feel like he is trying to buy this pot, and I call. Unfortunately, he was playing 59 and has a straight, 9 high.

The river was a blank and I bust out 11th.

How should I have played this hand?

Thanx,

Jeremy

kuro
11-30-2004, 01:14 AM
What were the blinds? You've got to try to steal the blinds in this situation late in a tourniment especially.

Preflop raise around 3x bb and you'll take it down there most of the time. You don't want to play this hand post flop because it's a dog to just about anything so you never should just complete from the small blind in this situation. If you get reraised you should fold.

If you get flat called then you bet around the pot or 2/3 the pot on the flop regardless of what happens and try to take it down there.

All of this depends on the blinds though. You absolutely do not want to commit a significant portion of your stack to a hand like this that depends on someone folding. Min-betting the flop is horible because it's inviting someone to come over the top or to stay in and chase a draw. Similarly if your read on the big blind player is that he's going to play any hand against your raise to the river, then you should just muck the 45s preflop because it's a dog to most random hands.

paytosee215
11-30-2004, 01:20 AM
I dont remember exactly but the blinds were probably 600-1200 or 800-1600

Jeremy

kuro
11-30-2004, 01:28 AM
Yeah with blinds in that range I think a raise of 2.5 to 3x bb or so is right from the small blind.

lady4luck
11-30-2004, 11:05 AM
you didnt say what kind of player the bb was? but he was already in pot and with 2 players you can hit most anything... did you consider the higher straight?(could of held 9-10 also) or did it not cross your mind? i think thats the question. but not wrong play or bad beat. i think just one of those goofy hands ya know...