PDA

View Full Version : Where to play upper-low limits in Vegas?

John Deere
11-30-2004, 12:27 AM
Hi everyone,

Going for my fourth trip to Vegas in a few weeks. My first trip, I played for my first time at the Excalibur 2-6 after reading an introductory book; a good first experience, I suppose. My second time, I checked out the Bellagio, Monte Carlo, Orleans and Mirage, not playing anything higher than 4-8; at this point, I still didn't know what I was doing. That was a year ago, and I've put in about 50,000 hands online since then, in addition to a half-dozen trips to AC, and a third trip to Vegas (played the Mirage 3-6 and Bellagio 4-8 for a few hundred in profit). My past few trips to AC were playing 5-10 at the Taj, and I have no desire to play anything lower than that at this point.

So, what are the best games in Vegas in the range of 5-10 to 10-20? How does the Bellagio 8/16 compare with the 4/8? How does the Mirage 6/12 and 10/20 compare with the 3/6? I didn't particularly care for the Orleans or Monte Carlo, but is it worth giving them another look? Anywhere else have good action at these limits?

Thanks in advance, everyone.

italianstang
11-30-2004, 02:02 AM
On a weekend the 8-16 plays pretty much exactly like the 4-8 at the Bellagio. In my experience the games above 6-12 at the Mirage start to get tough. Up to 6-12 however its all the same garbage players.

AllVegasPoker.com
12-01-2004, 04:02 AM
I think the 10/20 at Mirage is an easier game than the 6/12. In fact, I think the 6/12 at Mirage is one of the toughest games in town. I would play the Bellagio 8/16 over the 6/12 any day of the week. There are way too many local rocks that try to hack it out at the 6/12 Mirage game.

I like the 8/16 a lot actually. It's basically just like the 4/8 -- similar caliber players (i.e., better than your average vegas card player, but with lots of money to blow). You only need one happy drunk or tough-guy bluffer dumping money into the table to make it a profitable game (and you're a lot more likely to find that drunk at the 8/16 Bellagio than the 6/12 Mirage in my experience).

John Deere
12-01-2004, 01:05 PM
Yeah, I found the Mirage 3/6 to be full of local rocks during the day. At night, the Mirage, even on a Saturday night, seemed completely dead... the Bellagio, however, is a hotbed for drunks and people with tons of money to throw around.

I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks!

Barry
12-01-2004, 02:48 PM
3/6 full of rocks???

With 7 people avg to the flop?

John Deere
12-01-2004, 10:13 PM
Have you played there during the day, during the week?

IndyCar Dude
12-02-2004, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Have you played there during the day, during the week?

[/ QUOTE ]

Long time reader, first time poster.

Since I'm a first time poster, I understand that my credibility isn't all that high, but I did have the chance to sit at a 3/6 game at the Mirage last Friday night. Of all the places I played, I found the Mirage 3/6 to be just a tad bit tougher than the 2-6 at the Excalibur.

I played for five nights in Vegas while in town...two at the Excalibur playing 2-6, one at the Imperial Palace playing 2/4, one at the Orleans playing 2/4, and one at the Mirage playing 3/6.

I found the toughest competition to be at the Orleans, where I lost $85 in a 4 hour session at the 2/4 on my first night. Then again, it was my first time in a live card room, so maybe I was just nervous. I managed to have 4 positive sessions the next four nights, and left Vegas up $150.

This doesn't directly help the original poster, I suppose. If it helps, I found allvegaspoker.com to be quite helpful in trying to find a place to play.

Good luck!

John Deere
12-02-2004, 01:27 PM
Sounds about right.. the Mirage 3/6 on Friday and Saturday night is plenty loose. I also found the Orleans to be a rock garden of retired locals (respirators and all) in the afternoon.

Stinglikeabee
12-02-2004, 01:59 PM
Well, I'd have to say the best upper low limit game is the 8-16 at the Bellagio...... sometimes it might not be that loose but usually you get one or two at the table who don't want to wait for a 4-8 game and they can't play the game very well. However, don't ever go there to play before night time cause during the day it's not even the same. Much less action.
The 4-8 at Bellagio is perfect, you play with people who have money to burn and just feel like playing poker for a little while......I've played with many people who'll bet hundreds in the pit and just wanna relax by playing some 4-8 Holdem

The Mirage 6-12 game is nowhere close to the Bellagio games, the Bellagio games generally have more action.....

I've heard the Orleans 6-12 half kill is great but I've never tried it out.....

I bet Wynn's room will be great when it opens......

David
12-02-2004, 05:31 PM
8/16 at Bellagio is a better game at most times than the Mirage 6/12. That is fact. But then again, I think the 15/30 at Bellagio is easier than the Mirage 6/12, lol! I have played both many times. Orleans? Good for tournaments and not much else IMO.

Another option, if you have ever played NL online, would be the 2/5 blind NL game. Fish city! My last trip out I won several thousand in 5 days. Yes, I caught some hands, but the play was really bad. It is weaker than any online NL game I've played.

You may try some of the smaller rooms (Harrah's, Nugget, Monte Carlo, Palms, Alladin, etc....) I really don't know much about them.

Good luck and have fun!

garyg1
12-02-2004, 07:05 PM
I played at Mirage 4/8 game last August during weekday and found all tourists at my table playing just loose enough to make some money. going back for a new years weekend poker playing trip. I played at Mandalay Bay several nights in August and found most people played bad enough to be losing money but good enough to be predictable so was less likely to get sucked out on river there. Anyone else had recent experience at Mandalay Bay???