PDA

View Full Version : KQo - bad fold?

mprhino
11-29-2004, 11:22 PM
MP1 is solid, TAG. Little read on SB, not important to hand though

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (8 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 9 BB

I put villain on either AA, KK, AK or QQ. Should I call down after turn, or is this good fold?

ddubois
11-29-2004, 11:36 PM
It matters greatly if you really think QQ is a possible holding for him. It's definately not my style to 3-bet a check-raiser with QQ on a K-high flop; is this something the the forum collective does often?

If QQ is a possibilty PokerStove says your equity is about 28% versus his range of hands, if not, your equity is about 15%. You probably have 5 or 3 outs, but you don't know which and don't really have odds for a 5-out draw anyway. Also, once you call the turn you can't really feel comfortable folding to a river blank.

Once you see SB fold, and it becomes heads up, did you consider the 'check/call, check/call, bet river' line? Or is that line more appropriate for bluffy-LAG types?

helpmeout
11-29-2004, 11:52 PM
I usually just bet the flop then calldown.

I dont want to be the type who folds TPGK to continued aggression.

Is there a chance that he is overplaying QQ or such knowing you will fold fearing continued aggression? maybe

Can you improve to win if you are behind? If he has AK AA you can.

If he had a monster hand he'd be smoothcalling your checkraise and waiting for the river to pop you.

bernie
11-30-2004, 01:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I put villain on either AA, KK, AK or QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think QQ could be there, add JJ also. I doubt he'd have QQ or JJ though, unless he thinks you're on a draw. After all, you just raised preflop and c/r the flop from EP.

Flop: What's the point of the c/r? It's HU. Obviously, if you're not sure about the player, err on the side of saving chips then. It'd have cost you only 1 extra big bet to just call this out once it got HU. Don't get into a chip spewing match with a solid TAG if you don't have to. Especially when it's HU.

Yes, it looks like he has an overpair. Most likely AA. Could be AK. Given that you're getting the odds to call for your 5 outs, take it. Then call the river to make sure he has it if unsure. You have something to show down. It's a spot where you wished you didn't hit the flop. But you got a flop you paid for preflop with 3 bets. Ride it out. Cheaply.

b

Bill C
11-30-2004, 02:37 AM
How come the check on the flop? You have top pair, good kicker and a backdoor flush draw; a terrific hand. Maybe he read you as weak when you checked and was trying to push you off.

He could have been checking you out with the small investment of a reraise, and when you showed weakness again with a check on the turn, he bet and you were a goner.

Maybe he had Aces, maybe not. A bet on the turn would have been in order; then if he reraised you on the turn, you could dump it and feel comfortable about it.

Twice your checks invited him to bet into what was the probable best hand, and left yourself guessing.

Bill

chesspain
11-30-2004, 03:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Flop: What's the point of the c/r? It's HU. Obviously, if you're not sure about the player, err on the side of saving chips then. It'd have cost you only 1 extra big bet to just call this out once it got HU. Don't get into a chip spewing match with a solid TAG if you don't have to. Especially when it's HU.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent point. Since you are way ahead or way behind on this flop, a c/r only encourages a hand with two outs against you to fold, while subjecting you to a raise when you are dominated. There is nothing wrong with simply checkcalling down.