PDA

View Full Version : Flop OESD on ragged board, raise here?

Corkscrew
11-29-2004, 10:36 PM
No read on SB (2nd hand at the table), UTG+1 was fairly fishy, MP1 was a borderline maniac (very loose, somewhat aggressive), CO also tended towards the fishy side of the equation.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, CO calls.

I considered raising here, but I guess I worried about MP1 or SB 3-betting it.

Turn: (5 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, CO folds.

Still had the odds here with OESD plus an overcard, so I couldn't see folding. If I had raised the flop, should I raise again here on the turn? How about since I didn't raise the flop?

River: (8 BB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, SB calls, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 10 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 10 BB, between SB and MP1.</font>

If it seems like I'm posting a lot of hands tonight, it's because I am. /images/graemlins/grin.gif Lately, my sessions of 3-tabling amount to a meager gain (3 to 4 BB) on one table and sizeable losses (anywhere from 7 to 12 BB) on the other two tables, and I'm trying to figure out if this leak's coming from me or the Poker Gods. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ajax410
11-29-2004, 10:43 PM
You don't raise - but it's not because you fear a 3-bet, it's because you don't want to shut out the field when you have a reasonably strong drawing hand.

Alex

rabman
11-29-2004, 10:51 PM
Is that because there is no flush draw on the flop? According to Miller this type of hand is sensitive to the size of the field. Eight is the nuts but king can be beat by AQ. The fact that there was no preflop raise makes AQ improbable? That said I would raise here to eliminate overcard draws.

Corkscrew
11-29-2004, 10:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is that because there is no flush draw on the flop? According to Miller this type of hand is sensitive to the size of the field. Eight is the nuts but king can be beat by AQ. The fact that there was no preflop raise makes AQ improbable? That said I would raise here to eliminate overcard draws.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right before I posted this, I reread the exact part of SSHE you're referring to, but I'm still a tad unsure here. However, you're likely right, if only becaus I have an overcard. I think too many times I tend to see my draws as "OESD and overcard", not "OESD and overcard". I forget that sometimes I'm going to have to win by spiking a pair as opposed to making my straight.

Shillx
11-29-2004, 11:28 PM
Perfectly played. Just call in these spots with lots of players left to act behind you.

Brad

milesdyson
11-30-2004, 12:19 AM
I might raise with your reads (if good enough) of UTG+1 and CO.