PDA

View Full Version : Another PF raise from the CO, by request

elbuddha
11-29-2004, 10:02 PM
Another hand raised preflop from late position by request.

From the moment SB bet the flop, I was lost.

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Hero posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero (poster) raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

River: (14.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 14.50 BB

Ajax410
11-29-2004, 10:18 PM
Checking or betting/folding to a check/raise are both viable options on that river. Nice job of waiting until the turn to trap the field...especially since you couldn't protect your hand on the flop against any kind of draw (with a coordinated board no less).

Alex

busguy
11-30-2004, 02:44 AM
Don't like how you played this one very much either.

Pre-flop - obvious

Flop - raise. If you raise the flop you are likely to get checked to on the turn and you can decide whether to bet or take a free card if a scary (adds to the coordinated board) comes. If the SB leads out again on the turn, the middle callers (on draws) will likely fold, assuming that you will raise again, and not wanting to call 2 BB's to see the river. Either way played this way it gives you MANY more options.

/images/graemlins/smile.gif busguy

Grease
11-30-2004, 03:01 AM
I really like your river check, however I don't like the flop. I think you should raise it then, because no matter how you slice it, you're not going to get anyone out of the hand. I don't have a problem with the delayed raise, but do you fold outright if a heart/queen/seven comes? If you raise the flop, and one of those card comes and someone comes to life, you have a pretty easy fold. If you don't, you have a harder decision of the SB leads out again. Just my thoughts.

elbuddha
11-30-2004, 04:29 PM
&gt; "If the SB leads out again on the turn, the middle callers (on draws) will likely fold, assuming that you will raise again."

Going to play devil's advocate for myself...

If I raise the flop, no one's going anywhere on the turn whether they think I'll raise SB or not. The payoff for a draw is way too big for that. Granted, no one's going anywhere on the turn even if don't.

As for raising the flop for a free card, if the turn does bring a scare card, I'll very likely not be checked to whether I raised the flop or not.

Otherwise, I'm not sure I want a free card on the turn. I'm not on a draw, they are. Unless their draw comes in, I have the best hand. Why do I want to give my opponents a free card?

Edit: fixed typo: s/bet/be in 3rd paragraph

PokerBob
11-30-2004, 04:55 PM
I raise the flop, as I have the best hand and if SB wants to draw to his OES then he's gonna pay.

Hideous river card. Nice check behind.