PDA

View Full Version : PP 30/60

random
11-29-2004, 06:05 PM
Both opponents are semi-loose and quite aggressive. Both appear to be winning players and we all respect each other's play.

EP open-raises UTG, I three-bet with AA in MP, and the button caps. Three to the flop...

J94r

EP bets and we both call.

Turn

8, EP bets, I raise, Button three-bets, EP calls two cold, and I call.

River

A

EP checks, I bet, Button calls, EP says "QQ" and folds.

mmcd
11-29-2004, 06:23 PM
You are most likely ahead, and this line will get the most money into the pot. Your opponents will still play QQ or KK fast on the turn so you are just missing bets by not raising.

Also: If you don't think your hand is strong enough to 4 bet the turn, you should be checkraising the river. You left 1-2 bb on the table by not checkraising unless the button has KK in which case you should have capped the turn.
Some will 3-bet KK there, some won't. Some will cap an UTG open and a 3-bet with JJ or 99, some won't. Whichever way you read the situation on the turn though, you should have stuck with it on the river.

random
11-29-2004, 06:34 PM
I think I should have definitely raised the flop, but if I get three-bet against two opponents, I would probably have to cap. If it goes down that way, how comfortable should I be going multiple bets on the turn?

Also, the way it was played, I'm wondering how many people would have capped the turn. The best case scenario for me was that they both held QQ and KK. Fortunately, I was still ahead on the turn and that's exactly what they had.

mmcd
11-29-2004, 08:44 PM
but if I get three-bet against two opponents, I would probably have to cap.

I don't think this is necessarily the case. If the button called 2 cold and utg 3 bet it, I'd cap and try to get the button to call 2 more on the flop with AK getting better than 10-1. If the button 3 bet and UTG called 2 more cold, I'd be inclined to call and go for the lead 3-bet on the turn. (as a side note, in this game, I think putting the 4th bet in on the turn w/AA is borderline overplaying depending on your opponent, but putting in the 3rd bet definately is not) If the button 3-bets and UTG caps, I might turn passive from that point on as the button probably has only 2 outs and I'd want to sidestep a turn lead 3-bet from UTG that would in all liklihood leave me paying 180 to draw to 2 outs.

Had you raised the flop and smooth-called the button's 3-bet, the hand probably would have played out as follows:

Turn: UTG checks, you bet, button raises, UTG calls 2 cold, you 3-bet, button calls, UTG calls getting 19-1 and closing.

River, UTG checks, you bet and get paid off 2 places on a blank. (probably just 1 here since the A fell)

Generally speaking, I wouldn't be too worried about the button holding a set in this scenerio, and if UTG flopped one, you'd know about it before putting any more than 1 bet in on the turn, and could react accordingly.