PDA

View Full Version : Home game big blind situation

KHALI
11-29-2004, 05:26 PM
Just played in a home game with a $100 buy in. Each starts with 10,000 in chips and blinds start at 25/50 and go up each orbit and then on a timer after players are eliminated. Play is down to four players with the top three getting paid (50%, 30%, 20%). Players are a bunch of regulars who all hold decent jobs so the $100 isn't painful, play is very mediocre at best.
Blinds are 600/1200
UTG has 24,000 in chips and folds
Button has 10,000 in chips and folds
Small blind has 29,000 in chips and raises to 4000
I am big blind with J 9 diamonds.

I want to see if my thought process is along the right lines so your input is appreciated.
First question do you call this raise?
I know this is difficult to answer not knowing the player but based on situation would you get involved? The raiser is a decent player who can be very aggressive at times and is one of those guys who will always look to play a hand in a tricky way if possible. I think he has a decent starting hand here in this particular case.

I decide to call knowing that unless I hit big I will not get involved further due to the smaller stack facing elimination. I can call and try to hit an above average starting hand against the big stack and get paid off if I do. If I miss I am still comfortable at over 20,000. What other things would sway your decision or is this a no brainer that I am thinking too much about.

Flop comes back Q,Q, 10. Not totally bad for me but probably also helped him. He checks quickly. Do you bet on the str8 draw or check?

I decided to see a free card and to follow my original plan of action for this hand and check. Is this weak and passive here based on situation?

Turn is a beautiful 8. He checks and I bet out 6000. Comments? He flat calls. Now I know he has a queen and I am hoping no other face cards show up to make him a boat. River is a brick. He checks and I push all in. He quickly calls turning over AQ.

I just included the result for fun. What I am wondering is the blind defence here. Would you get involved or not? Maybe I am overthinking this but I am trying to learn tournament play.

Thanks

slickterp
11-29-2004, 05:38 PM
i like the way you played it. you have a nice stack and can afford to see the flop, and taking the free card was definitely the right thing to do with the trips possibility. i like the turn bet, but not too big to give it away (he probably would have called the all in anyway) and big enough lock him in while still leaving you room to get out.