PDA

View Full Version : SSH Tight PF Guidelines and VPIP

Link774
11-29-2004, 04:57 PM
After using SSH's Loose PF guidelines for a little while, I got PokerTracker and noticed that my VPIP was around 21. Then I also noticed that I was getting more like 4-5 players (Paradise .25/.50) seeing the flop, as opposed to the 6+ that the Loose guidelines recommend. Thus, I switched to the Tight guidelines, to bring my VPIP into the Tight range for Bison's autorate (its now 17). However, recently I have been seeing posts saying that 20+ VPIP is acceptable, while I am also seeing posts saying that Loose tables are extremely rare online. Should I:

A) Screw the PSF statistic and use the loose guidlines
B) Screw the people who advocate 20+ VPIP and use the tight guidlines
C) Blend the loose and tight guidlines based on how I feel at the moment about the table

You get the idea. Discuss! Thanks!

Link

P.S. Note that I play on Paradise, which I have heard is tighter than Party, so if you want to tell me that you play on Party and you're raking it in with VPIP 25, I don't really know how applicable that'll be to my situation. And no, I won't switch.

SlantNGo
11-29-2004, 05:05 PM
Your VPIP will go up as you gain more experience and are more comfortable playing marginal hands. I believe that Axs is limpable at any position at many micro-limit games, and Ed has it as a fold in EP. Also, any PP I believe is limpable, and Ed has 66-22 as folds. 17% is fine until you're comfortable.

flair1239
11-29-2004, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A) Screw the PSF statistic and use the loose guidlines
B) Screw the people who advocate 20+ VPIP and use the tight guidlines
C) Blend the loose and tight guidlines based on how I feel at the moment about the table

[/ QUOTE ]

I choose "D": Evaluate each hand independently based upon

1. The strength of your hand.
2. Your position.
3. The number of limpers or rasing in front of you.
4. The past tendencies of the players at the table.

In all seriousness, the conditions for a "loose" game in SSH do not occur often (at least on PP .5/1). Furthermore with all the in and out that people do online you rarely have enough info on everyone at the table to consistently play marginal hands out front.

As was discussed in another thread, many live 2/4 or 3/6 games feature very fovorable conditions for opening up your starting hand requirements.

That said do not depend on charts, learn about the qualities of the various hands and make your decision from there as opposed to a chart.

DMBFan23
11-29-2004, 05:45 PM
C, definitely.

you'll play on every sort of table, the sort in which 22 is limpable UTG, and the sort in which you might not want to be playing Axs in EP...

paradise is a little tighter than party, (at least party .5/1) so I can't say too much about .25/.50, but my short experiences clearing bonuses at paradise 1/2 had me at about VPIP 17 or so. I didnt feel too tight, but at the same time it would have been hard for me to mix in more playable hands (pairs after limpers, suited connectors, etc) since most pots were either fairly shorthanded (4 to the flop), played for a raise, or maybe both.

then, once "you've been around for a few months" and have it down, check this out:

take off the training wheels (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=&Number=495010&page=&view= &sb=5&o=&fpart=)