PDA

View Full Version : I'm new to poker litterature - Super System

Bodhi
11-29-2004, 03:45 PM
Hi folks,

The only poker book I own is SSHE. After reading it 3 times and studying crucial chapters, I've loaned it to a friend who loaned me Doyle's Super System textbook. These two books have a great variety of differences in content, emphasis and character (Ok, I'm stating the obvious). But I think the book could be good for me because its psychological emphasis compliments the mathematical emphasis of SSHE. What should I try to get out of this book? I know it has a huge reputation, but I get the feeling that some of SSHE is a polemic against it and the idiosyncracies of Super System's contributers, e.g. "I prefer AK to AA or KK," "A2-5s is preferable to A6-9s because it can make a straight," etc. Are there parts of Super System that I should take with a grain of salt or is its advice still solid even if not cutting-edge?

Bodhi
11-29-2004, 06:30 PM
Bump!... sorry, but I'm sure someone has read this book and I'd like to hear their feedback.

Jekyll
11-29-2004, 06:50 PM
super system was my first poker book, so i was a clean slate. and i think its a great place to start, b/c it gives your motivations for playing, not just how to play.

all the poker literature i've read is written from one of two angles.... how to win and how not to get beat. super system is a how to win book. SSHE is more how not to get beat. its also important to note no-limit strategies are different than limit, sometimes subtly, sometimes wildly.

jakethebake
11-30-2004, 01:03 PM
No one responded because this question gets asked like once a week and has been responded to so many times that any cursory attempt to use the search function will give you what you need.

Bodhi
11-30-2004, 02:15 PM
lol! Thanks. As you noticed from my member status, I didn't know that.