PDA

View Full Version : live hand with J8s

bonanz
11-29-2004, 02:32 PM
live 4/8
lately i have been getting my ass handed to me online and live. and i've started to get very tilty after a suckout or two into a session. (not that this is a suckout, but that's my mindstate when this hand takes place, and why i suck)

bb with J8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

few limpers maybe 3-4, sb folds i check

flop is Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

i check, checks around to last limper, and he bets, i just call other limpers call

turn 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

check, same guy bets i call, all call.

river 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

i check, checks around to bettor, he bets, i raise, limper1 folds, limper2 angrily calls, bettor 3-bets, i just call (didn't notice that the heart paired teh board...)

whack?

Entity
11-29-2004, 02:35 PM
I would bet the river or possibly checkraise this flop with the LP bettor. Do you have a read on this guy?

Rob

nyc999
11-29-2004, 02:38 PM
I would check-raise the flop to isolate the bettor, and play the rest the same.

bonanz
11-29-2004, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you have a read on this guy?

[/ QUOTE ]

crazy asian gamb000ler who likes to suckout, he was relatively new to the table, but at this point i saw him show down Q high once.

i couldn't decide whether it was better to bet, or check raise the flop, so i just blanked out and did neither lol. the check raise is far superior i think due to the gamb00ley nature of the bettor, but the limpers in between are quite capable of not caring one bit and cold calling 2 bets with some kind of screwy draw.

btspider
11-29-2004, 02:50 PM
i was leaning towards check-raising the flop, but with that read, its very easy. bet the river rather than obliterate the field.

crockett
11-29-2004, 03:19 PM
I think the flop has 2 choices.

Fold or C/R (assumming the bet comes from where it did)..you choose neither and the hand played out poorly for you, but still could have been fine I just like the first two options better than just calling.

Here is what I consider when deciding to raise or fold.

How big is that pot? You said 3-4 plus you, so 5 1/2 or 4 1/2 sbs. You have a discounted 6.5 outer (3 J's, 2 8's and 1.5 for the backdoor flush). I discount it for two reasons. Your flush is not to the nuts and a J on that board presents str8 possibilities, if not immediately (T9) but certainly opens you up to redraws on the river. Even without discounting them you need about 6:1 to call a 6.5 outer. This is why I say fold. The pot size is two small to fight for considering the times you'll win vs. the times you lose.

A couple things would switch me over to a raise. If the pot was larger. Somehow it had been raised pre-flop and I found myself in this situation. The board was different, giving you a backdoor str8 draw as well as that backdoor flush draw or if 3 of your five outer didn't make such a str8 happy board.

Finally, if I played the hand the way you did, I would lead the river religiously. I'm just done being tricky and there is no way I'm letting it get checked through, I want my money.

bonanz
11-29-2004, 03:37 PM
i think folding this flop makes me wanna throw up