PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody seen this before?!?!

BillBrasky
11-29-2004, 02:31 PM
I was watching a heads-up online cash game and got to the table just as the second player arrived. Each player had about $700. On the VERY FIRST HAND, $40 is in the pot when 4th street comes. ALL RAGS TO THIS POINT. Then, bam, one player goes all-in. The other quickly folds. Then, the player who won the $40 pot types, "Thanks," and quickly leaves the table with his $20 profit. I was puzzled to say the least. It got me to thinking, couldn't you just hop around from site to site and pull that trick? How often would somebody call an all-in in that situation?

Trix
11-29-2004, 03:14 PM
try it out and let us know.

BugsBunny
11-29-2004, 03:21 PM
Well if he did call the all-in you stand a good chance of losing the $700. That means you would have to pull this off 350 times to break even the one time you lose.

It's sort of like the Martingale betting system. Lot's of small wins with 1 loss that wipes out all the small wins.

Grisgra
11-29-2004, 03:33 PM
35 times, not 350.

mntbikr15
11-29-2004, 03:41 PM
AHAHA I love the "thanks" comment right before he left.

But no cant say I view this as a very good idea.

fnord_too
11-30-2004, 11:16 AM
Someone did that to me once. Can't remember if it was 15/30 that got down to HU or 5/10 short. At any rate, someone comes in and it was HU or 3-handed. He wins one medium size pot, sais "thanks" and leaves.

My guess is that it is someone playing way over his head, makes a quick score, and runs off giggling. I'm sure a lot of these players who try this end up getting stuck and crying, too. The "thanks" bit is especially immature, but it doesn't particularly bother me because 1) it belies a weak player (almost always) and 2) I don't let things that happen at the poker table upset me.

SomethingClever
11-30-2004, 02:44 PM
Dude, your handle is fantastic. Please get an avatar to go with it and become a regular poster.

Guy McSucker
11-30-2004, 05:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The "thanks" bit is especially immature

[/ QUOTE ]

Has it really come to this? Somebody expresses thanks to you and you immediately regard them as cocky?

It could be genuine and heartfelt gratitude, or just old fashioned good manners.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Guy.