PDA

View Full Version : Exploiting the greater advantage later... in freakin huge pot

Emmitt2222
11-29-2004, 02:12 PM
Last night I reread the section on protecting your hand by betting and raising and the other section on waiting for the turn to take advantage of a greater +EV situation in SSHE. So I started playing today and realized that I am having some trouble distinguishing when to raise to protect or when to call on the flop and then bet on the turn if a blank comes. What follows is my feeble attempt. MP2 is pretty big LAG, especially post flop in a big pot.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: (21 SB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, CO calls, Button calls, Hero calls, UTG calls.

With the PF raiser just calling the bets Im not concerned he has KK or AA anymore so I think I have the best hand but here is where I decided to wait and see if I could exploit a bigger advantage on the turn incase MP2 was betting a draw which he did sometimes. Should I just keep betting because the pot is already large?

Turn: (15.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, CO calls, Button calls, Hero calls, UTG calls.

OK so there is my perfect blank so I decide its time to start betting but I decided to go for the check/raise to try and knock some people out of this large pot. Was this a mistake? Should I just bet out hoping MP2 raises as a better strategy because there are two people behind him who would have a tough call?

River: (30.50 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button folds, Hero calls, UTG folds, MP2 folds.

With that overcard I would usually bet but there were so many people in the pot and then when it came back to me reraised I had to call because the pot was enormous. Do I just bet out because I am practically forced to call any raise anyway? (dont you love the MP2 fold in that gigantic pot to one last raise?)

Final Pot: 35.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 35.50 BB, between Hero and CO.</font>

Shillx
11-29-2004, 02:21 PM
Yeah I don't like this hand much. When you have position, you can do some things in pots like this. Out of position, you need to take control of the hand. Keep raising on the flop for the best results. A stop and go is a distant second. Checking to MP2 is very dangerous because he is a LAG, and this is how LAG's play flush draws. He easily could check this, hoping that he gets a free-card.

The river call is interesting to say the least. The LAG folded the river b/c he missed his flush.

Brad

kenberman
11-29-2004, 02:22 PM
I 3 bet the flop. If it gets capped, there's a decent chance you are either behind or against a draw.

With that being said, I also lead out the turn. With the pot this size, it's going to be hard to protect your hand, as your opponents have great odds. if raised on the turn, I probably make a tough laydown.

Despite similar SSHE advice, I check/fold the turn here. You are calling 2 cold, and CO doesn't have an A, I'm suprised.

Put MP2 on your buddy list.