PDA

View Full Version : Help w/ 'Adult Swim'

fsuplayer
11-29-2004, 12:38 PM
I usually turn it off after family guy, but last night while I was pokering, an animated show w/ blue and white "cut outs" as the characters.

I havent laughed that hard since I first saw Family Guy.

it was on sometime after 1130, but i cant remember the name or what time it was.

What was the name of the show, and is it usually that funny?

ThaSaltCracka
11-29-2004, 12:39 PM
Are you talking about "Sealab 2021"?

BonJoviJones
11-29-2004, 12:49 PM
Tom Goes To The Mayor. I like it.

The Ocho
11-29-2004, 12:52 PM
Adult Swim rules. You are doing yourself a disservice if you don't watch Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Sealab 2021, Home Movies, Brak Show, etc.

fsuplayer
11-29-2004, 01:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you talking about "Sealab 2021"

[/ QUOTE ]

not exactly sure.

Tom Goes To The Mayor. I like it.

yes, that was it. is that "Sealab 2021"?

the episode my my friend and I laughing our asses off. good stuff.

ArchAngel71857
11-29-2004, 01:25 PM
I haven't found Tom Goes to the Mayor to be funny.

Futurama, Family Guy, Sealab 2021, Harvey Birdman.

Adult Swim is the best thing on television.

-AA

fsuplayer
11-29-2004, 01:26 PM
oh, so they are two different shows...?!?!

ThaSaltCracka
11-29-2004, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
oh, so they are two different shows...?!?!

[/ QUOTE ]
I think so, check out SeaLab 2021 though, the captain is hilarious.

fsuplayer
11-29-2004, 01:36 PM
will do, thanks!

cnfuzzd
11-29-2004, 01:50 PM
now i understand why i have being sensing an aura of non-Completion around you. Its because you dont watch aqua teen hunger force. For my money, its possibly the funniest show on television.

peace

john nickle

fsuplayer
11-29-2004, 02:06 PM
is that the one with your avatar?

I saw the show with your avatar and did a "so that's where that avatar is from?!?"

seemed funny from the five mins i watched.

i am excited to have some TV to look forward to without the initials OC.

Number4
11-29-2004, 02:44 PM
Adult Swim in general is hysterical, but Sealab 2021 is my favorite.
<font color="white">
Tornado Shanks - "BREAK DOWN" </font>

cnfuzzd
11-29-2004, 02:46 PM
since i assume you have the 40 bucks to spare, you should rush out and buy the Aqua Teen Hunger Force season 1&amp;2 dvd's. They are genuis. Pure comedy. Also, they are imminently quotable. I have to stop myself from quoting ATHF about 20 times a day because no one else would get it. Truly, truly good stuff.

Sealab 2021 is also good, my old roommate would always argue which is better, i think ATHF is more lively and has more comedic value, but for dark sarcasm, there really is nothing like a good sealab.

The Brak show is, er was, good, but just download some brak mp3's and you will have the best parts. My favorite is "Never trust a monkey"

Harbey Birdman is also quality, but nowhere near the level of sealab or ATHF. It runs slowly sometimes, which is odd for a 13 minute show, but i never regret watching it.

Tom goes to the Mayor. I have yet to watch enough of this to determine if it is high quality, but i have definitly laughed those times i have watched it.

Futurama is perhaps the most underrated show currently on television. Bender is one of my favorite character ever.

Family Guy. Animated perfection.

Various other adult swim shows. I have never really enjoyed Oblongs, or Home Movie. Good filler while waiting for the better shows, but not something i rearrange my schedule for.

Anime suX0rs

peace

john nickle

ThaSaltCracka
11-29-2004, 02:54 PM
I don't like ATHF.

Blarg
11-29-2004, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Futurama is perhaps the most underrated show currently on television. Bender is one of my favorite character ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the professor. "Good news, everyone!" right before yet another attempt to send his crew off to their deaths. He couldn't give less of a damn and can't wait to harvest their organs. But in a friendly way, of course. His voice cracks me up. If I could imitate that voice, I'd probably talk that way non-stop till the day I die. Broke my heart when that show went off the air. I have all four years on DVD. Lots of times the show has what The Simpsons used to have -- an eagerness to take the gloves off and make fun of things that aren't made fun of, and the ability to do it while still being funny.

fnord_too
11-29-2004, 05:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I usually turn it off after family guy

[/ QUOTE ]

You are truly missing a lot then!

One of my recent favorites was "Case Closed" (which coincidentally came on durring the final table every night of the RV 9 pm rebuy tourney). Think "Sccoby Doo," but with real crimes (very few didn't involve murder, most of which were pretty grusome) and real detecting. The melodramatic narating occasionally got anoying, but a few of the episodes were truly disturbing.

Man, if I didn't have a 9 to 5 I would watch all of adult swim every night.

AngryCola
11-29-2004, 05:23 PM
The captain has been replaced the last couple seasons. Coach isn't nearly as funny as Murphy was.

AngryCola
11-29-2004, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One of my recent favorites was "Case Closed"

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that show was really bad. Unlike some of the other posters, I actually like a lot of anime, but not that one.

The best anime they are showing on a daily basis (right now) is Wolf's Rain. That is a great show.

AngryCola
11-29-2004, 05:31 PM
It's "Tom Goes to the Mayor".

I've only seen a couple episodes of it, but I thought it was funny.

I had to give it a chance when I saw Bob Odenkirk (Mr. Show, Ben Stiller Show) was producing it. Tenacious D was on the first episode. That's another plus, in my book.

fnord_too
11-29-2004, 05:44 PM
I'm not a big Wolf's Rain fan. Inuyasha (sp?) and Trigun are ok, and Cowboy Bebop kicks so much ass I had to buy the series on DVD. Also, Full Metal Alchemist is looking pretty neat. (I probably shouldn't mention that Lupin III is a favorite of mine, too.)

AngryCola
11-29-2004, 05:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, Full Metal Alchemist is looking pretty neat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. That's my favorite new anime on AS.

I can't agree about Wolf's Rain, but your other picks are good stuff. Cowboy Bebop and Trigun are favorites of mine, also. Inuyasha (yep) is a decent show, and I watch it occasionally. The new Ghost in the Shell (SAC) seems to be pretty good too.

brassnuts
11-29-2004, 08:11 PM
Nobody seems to like ATHF... 'cept me.

cnfuzzd
11-29-2004, 08:28 PM
&lt;ahem&gt;
&lt;--------------

peace

john nickle

Number4
11-29-2004, 08:36 PM
Quote:
Also, Full Metal Alchemist is looking pretty neat.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I agree. That's my favorite new anime on AS.

I can't agree about Wolf's Rain, but your other picks are good stuff. Cowboy Bebop and Trigun are favorites of mine, also. Inuyasha (yep) is a decent show, and I watch it occasionally. The new Ghost in the Shell (SAC) seems to be pretty good too.

Wow - I could not agree more. I am actually getting ready to watch the past to Ghost in the Shells in Tivo. Still, Cowboy Bebop is at the top of my [adult swim] anime list.

daryn
11-29-2004, 08:58 PM
the best ATHF is remooned, where they try to cash that check. hahahahahhahahaha...

JinX11
11-29-2004, 09:46 PM
My g/f actually helped create the artwork for a few of the Sealab 2021 cartoons.

Sorry for the shameless plug and worthless post. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ThaSaltCracka
11-29-2004, 09:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I just don't find it funny. I have watched it sober, drunk, and stoned, same reaction every time, sort of boring and unfunny, to me ateast, sorta weird too. I mean, come'on, its a ball of meat, a milkshake, and some french fries, living with some hairy dude in a beater, wtf?

MarkL444
11-29-2004, 09:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I just don't find it funny. I have watched it sober, drunk, and stoned, same reaction every time, sort of boring and unfunny, to me ateast, sorta weird too. I mean, come'on, its a ball of meat, a milkshake, and some french fries, living with some hairy dude in a beater, wtf?

[/ QUOTE ]

they live next door. you would know this if you had watched it enough. that combined with the fact that you DONT think its funny, tells me you need to watch it more. keep an eye out for the mooninites (cnfuzzd's avatar), thats when the show shines.

ThaSaltCracka
11-29-2004, 10:06 PM
you may be right. I have probably seen it about 3-4 times, and only an entire episode all the way through maybe once. Its just hard to sit there and try to watch something you find unfunny. I'll try though man.

Stork
11-29-2004, 10:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
now i understand why i have being sensing an aura of non-Completion around you. Its because you dont watch aqua teen hunger force. For my money, its possibly the funniest show on television.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most def. Aqua Teen Hunger Force is teh pawnz0rs. /images/graemlins/cool.gif Also watch Sealab 2021, Brak Show, and Harvey Birdman. Adult Swim is totally in.

Stork
11-29-2004, 10:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The best anime they are showing on a daily basis (right now) is Wolf's Rain. That is a great show.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, Wolf's Rain is fantastic. That and Cowboy Bebop are my favorite anime shows. (They're actually made by the same people). Big O and Inuyasha are also pretty good. Haven't seen Big O in a while, I don't get much opportunity to watch the anime shows these days.

Rushmore
11-30-2004, 12:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Adult Swim rules. You are doing yourself a disservice if you don't watch Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Sealab 2021, Home Movies, Brak Show, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

All great.

Brak is my alltime favorite character from television. Ever. He was excellent on Space Ghost Coast to Coast, awesome on Cartoon Planet, and ineffably hysterical on The Brak Show.

I remember, way back when--must have been 8 years ago or so, I had just gotten back to my room at the Taj Majal after a ridiculously long session of $30/$60 holdem, something like twenty hours.

Literally delirious, I was so exhausted I couldn't sleep, so I turned on the television and saw this cartoon superhero cum talkshow host, Space Ghost, who had some, uh, prisoners who were a space cat named Brak, a mantis named Zorak, and a robot guy named Moltar.

I swear to God, I felt like I was tripping. I couldn't believe it was on television. I was laughing so hard, yet I was still astounded that anything that funny could be on television.

Cartoon network has just gotten better and better.

But I can't believe they canceled Brak. I especially miss Thundercles.

I feel like I've been stung by fifty bees.

Macdaddy Warsaw
11-30-2004, 04:54 AM
I think Harvey Birdman is the funniest show out of the bunch. I think it's because the slower pacing allows for more cerebral jokes, while also being pretty off the wall.

Is that too deep for cartoons?

deacsoft
11-30-2004, 04:56 AM
Sea Lab is awsome. I heard they have episodes out on DVD. Anyone have any info on that?

Macdaddy Warsaw
11-30-2004, 05:03 AM
They do.

http://www.adultswim.com/shop/sea/

deacsoft
11-30-2004, 05:22 AM
Thank you so much. /images/graemlins/smile.gif