PDA

View Full Version : What does MHING mean(and other abbreviations, etc)?

Hack
11-29-2004, 11:48 AM
What do things like aggression rating and VP$IP mean?

I've seen these phrases used a lot on the 2+2 boards, and I tried searching Google for them but no luck.

Thank you for your help,
Hack

David04
11-29-2004, 11:50 AM
MHING is My hand is not good. Aggression rating and VP$IP are ratings used in Poker Tracker, a program that can give you all kinds of stats. Download a free trial(up to 1,000 hands can be imported) at Poker Tracker (http://www.pokertracker.com)

Hack
11-29-2004, 11:58 AM
THanks David. I've tried importing hands on it from Stars but I guess I can't figure out how to do it. Do you know how?

I've tried to just paste in hand history logs from my e-mail but it hasn't worked.

TIA(Thanks in advance /images/graemlins/wink.gif),
Hack

Sheriff Fatman
11-29-2004, 12:13 PM
For Stars:

There's an auto-import hand history button (top left) within PT. You can use this to either import the files from an email program such as Outlook once they are in your inbox or use the POP3 option to interrogate your email server before the hands are downloaded to your email. POP3 is faster but you need your email account login details to set this up (there's a set up POP3 icon further along to the right in PT).

If you don't have Outlook and are using Hotmail or other web-based email then I believe you have to save the files as text (.txt) files somewhere and use the Import from File option within this dialogue box. Don't save them as Word .doc files as this doesn't work.

If you need more help the PT help files do a better job of explaining this than I did!

Sheriff

aeakos
11-29-2004, 12:24 PM
The one abbreviation that I cannot find an explanation for is CO. I know it refers to a late position at the table, but which specifically?

David04
11-29-2004, 12:34 PM
It means cutoff, but I'm not sure which position it is. Maybe one before the button?

Sheriff Fatman
11-29-2004, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It means cutoff, but I'm not sure which position it is. Maybe one before the button?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct.

Sheriff

Hack
11-29-2004, 03:15 PM
Thanks Sheriff.

A couple basic PT questions if I may. If I happen to post a duplicate hand into PT will it pick up on that and not add it into the history? And secondly(this is a Stars question) should I use the time option for e-mailing myself hands instead of the my last X number of hands for example, because max X=100 on Stars, and if I use the time option I can do all my hands for the past week for example. That way If i get into using PT I could just update my hands in PT twice a week or something so I don't miss any.

Let me know if this is feasible if you get a chance.

Thanks much,
Hack /images/graemlins/smile.gif

SheridanCat
11-29-2004, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A couple basic PT questions if I may. If I happen to post a duplicate hand into PT will it pick up on that and not add it into the history?

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker Tracker will not import the same hand twice. You'll get a message about duplicate hands if you try. It happens all the time that some hand histories contain hands from previous histories.

[ QUOTE ]

And secondly(this is a Stars question) should I use the time option for e-mailing myself hands instead of the my last X number of hands for example, because max X=100 on Stars, and if I use the time option I can do all my hands for the past week for example. That way If i get into using PT I could just update my hands in PT twice a week or something so I don't miss any.

[/ QUOTE ]

When using PT with PokerStars, you're best off to let Poker Tracker request your hands every 15 minutes or so. You'll only ever be able to get the last 100 hands from Pokerstars, regardless of whether you ask for the last month or not. It's an annoyance, but I suppose it lessens the stress on their servers. If you set Poker Tracker to request your histories automatically, you shouldn't miss anything unless somehow you're playing more than 100 hands per X number of minutes you set the request for.

Party Poker makes this much nicer since they now automatically place your hand histories on your hard drive.

Regards,

T

Sheriff Fatman
11-29-2004, 03:32 PM
Hi Hack

PT automatically filters duplicate hands so no need to worry about that.

My preferred option for getting hands is to ask for them every 15 minutes or so with the PT auto-request. Ask for enough to give you an overlap (as the duplicates are detected and filtered) such as 50 or 100 depending on how many tables you are playing at a time (e.g when 3 tabling I asked for 100 handes every 15 minutes). Get into this habit as not all sites let you request a day's history in one go.

You can use this to get 'almost' real time info on your current table using the Game Time window. Download at least one hand from your current table, and then open a game time window (the spade icon). Use the preferences option to find your current table and the screen will auto-fill with the players at your table. As you download more hands these stats then update automatically and makes changes for players leaving/joining the game.

The game time option works best at Party skins where the hand histories are automatically stored on your hard disk but its also very useful at sites such as Stars and Paradise.

Hope this helps.

Sheriff

PS: You can also refer queries to the PT forum at www.pokertracker.com. (http://www.pokertracker.com.) Its worth checking there periodically for updates to the software.

skoal2k4
11-29-2004, 04:20 PM
What exactly does it stand for? From reading the posts, I'm thinking it means a single table tourney, but what is it exactly? Thanks!

SheridanCat
11-29-2004, 04:35 PM
SNG = Sit 'N Go. Get enough people to sit, and the tournament goes.

Regards,

T

aron
11-30-2004, 04:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct.

Sheriff

[/ QUOTE ]

But what do they mean by Cutoff, why does that position have a certain name, why isn't it MP-4 or LP or something like that? only thing I can think of is if it has something to do with blindstealing.

-aron

BAK
11-30-2004, 03:24 PM
Since people are so kind as to explain, I saw some posts today referring to HU. What would HU be?

Thanks!

BruinEric
11-30-2004, 04:47 PM
HU = Head's Up

That is one-on-one vs another player.

Sheriff Fatman
12-01-2004, 08:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
But what do they mean by Cutoff, why does that position have a certain name, why isn't it MP-4 or LP or something like that? only thing I can think of is if it has something to do with blindstealing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe its because you can potentially cut-off any action from the button here. This is to say that in a pot where no players have yet entered the action, a raise from the cut-off seat has a good chance of getting the button to fold. Should the pot then continue to a flop you will have bought yourself the button from here, giving you positional advantage for the remainder of the hand.

Basically, if successful, your action has cut-off any involvement from the button and has most likely bought you control of the hand.

I'm sure someone will correct me if this isn't the correct definition - its basically distinguishing the CO seat as the other recognised 'steal position' in a hand, along with the button.

The advantage of using this notation is that the CO seat is always easily identifiable. Terms such as MP, LP tend to relate only to a full-table situation and so their use can start to get confusing in a general context which includes short-handed tables. The cut-off seat relates to a fixed position relative to the buttons and blinds so is a commonly used term.

Sheriff

Al Mirpuri
12-08-2004, 08:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct.

Sheriff

[/ QUOTE ]

Bob Ciaffone is the originator of the term.

A steal raise from just before the button "cuts off" the button from running a steal.