PDA

View Full Version : How do you deal with a maniac?

reddawg1221
11-29-2004, 05:46 AM
I just finished an sng where this maniac was playing every single hand when we were three handed. You could not raise to get him out of the pot. I have dealt with a lot of different types of opponents but these types are always hard to read. Since you are three handed and the blinds are pretty high you can't exactly wait for a monster. My stack size was about 1/3 of the total chips until we went heads-up. Once there I was outstacked 2:1. Every hand this opponent would push all-in. I waited for a few hands, got A8s and called. I was on the button. He won with K4s, spiking two pair on the flop. I am not even concerned with my place in this sng as much as I am concerned as how to deal with one of these idiots. How do you deal with this? I am 95% sure that if I was the one pushing he would call. Do you just call or push and hope to get lucky? Any comments would be appreciated.

Jason Strasser
11-29-2004, 06:01 AM
Was it me?

Seriously. Sometimes effective bubble play can look like the work of a maniac. Your post is a bit too general to get actual answeres, though. I mean, sometimes dealing with a maniac can be playing a hand passively in order to extract maximum value. In terms of, 'Is this hand good enough to call an all in?'... Well, that depends on stack sizes, a range of hands your opponent may have, and on a number of other factors.

-Jason

rci97
11-29-2004, 06:05 AM
Why do you call him an idiot? You wrote that once you were heads up, he had a 2:1 chip advantage. I'm assuming the blinds were high (at least 150/300). You also wrote that you waited for a few hands until you got A8s. By this time, I'm assuming that he had a 3:1 chip advantage. If he saw that you were folding all the time, the "maniac" style is basically correct (or close to correct) play IMHO. Why not put him to the test? Once you see what he's doing, you can't just keep letting him run you over. He called you in the final hand as a 3:2 dog but he paid for that with all the blinds he stole. It's hard to play against one of these guys, but here's what I would do: If you get a real monster from the SB, limp in. When he pushes, you call. If you have an above average hand, push. Make him make a decision. You're just gonna have to gamble with the guy. I'm hardly a math expert, but alot of the posters in this forum are. There are a lot of threads relating to heads up play on this forum that are very useful.

ChrisV
11-29-2004, 06:06 AM
If it's really every hand, then call with anything resembling a hand. The top 25% or so of hands is sufficient.

As regards your "I am 95% sure that if I was the one pushing he would call" - 95% sure? Did you ever test this theory? A lot of guys are hyperaggressive towards the end - for example, me with a big stack - but won't call allins. You need to push with a wide range of hands on the button - the top 50% is a good starting point. If he always calls, then pushing this range, you'll be ahead the majority of the time anyway.

reddawg1221
11-29-2004, 06:29 AM
Thanks for the responses. As for the blinds they were 200/400 with 15000 in play. I had about 4200 when he pushed again. I was not just labeling him a maniac because of his play 3-handed or HU; my opinion was based off of my knowledge of him through out the entire sng. I was never able to test the theory of me pushing instead of him. After reading your responses I should have waited until I was the SB to push. Unfortunately, the blinds were going to go up within two hands and I didnt want to find myself without any folding equity--especially with a worse off hand then A8s.

tigerite
11-29-2004, 06:43 AM
Even with 2nd biggest stack (if the big stack is being passive, to my left, and folding) I will raise with virtually any two on the bubble. It builds up your stack very nicely, so you can then call one of the small stack's allins with KJ, even when he has A9, and win.. as I did.. LOL