PDA

View Full Version : Underated Actor - Jim Carrey

theBruiser500
11-29-2004, 03:59 AM
He's really good. In funny movies he's really funny but also, in dramatic movies like Trueman Show, Man on the Moon, Eternel Sunshine of the Mind, he's great. One of my favorite actors, I wish he was in more serious movies.

BusterStacks
11-29-2004, 04:00 AM
I find that odd, I thought he was horrible in Truman Show and the Majestic.

SmileyEH
11-29-2004, 04:03 AM
Bruiser is right. I love Carrey as an actor, both dramatic and comedic. A great fellow Canadian as well.

-SmileyEH

PoBoy321
11-29-2004, 04:09 AM
I think that Jim Carrey is a good actor, but I really wouldn't call him underrated. He's been great in his really stupid comedy movies (Dumb and Dumber, Ace Ventura, etc.), and I like some of his more serious movies (Truman Show, Man on the Moon) but I've been really disappointed in some of his other things (Almighty Bruce, The Majestic) but I think that it was more because of bad scripts than bad acting. I really can't think of anything I've seen him in where I say "God, Jim Carrey is awful in this. It just doesn't fit, he's not right," but I do find myself saying "God this movie sucks."

deacsoft
11-29-2004, 04:24 AM
I would add Chistian Slater, Michael Keaton, and Guy Pearce to a list of under rated actors.

nothumb
11-29-2004, 04:48 AM
I read this post and thought, "Creed... underrated band."

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Actually, I did like him in ESOTSM.

NT

Macdaddy Warsaw
11-29-2004, 05:56 AM
Endless Sunshine makes me cry. I'm such a hopeless romantic, heh. I did think he was particularly strong in that role, though. I haven't actually seen him in a lot of things, but I could see how he could be underrated.

The Dude
11-29-2004, 06:02 AM
I don't know if I'd say he's underrated or not, but there are a lot of people who stereotyped him after his first few movies and haven't gone and seen anything since. Those people are missing out.

jakethebake
11-29-2004, 11:25 AM
I do think he's funny and can act. And I used to really like him, but just can't really stand him any more. He just does the same schtick in every movie. Even in interviews he's constantly acting goofy, like the class clown that doesn't know when enough is enough.

ThaSaltCracka
11-29-2004, 12:26 PM
I agree, def. underrated. A lot of critics and viewers pigeonholed him as a goofy rubbery slapstick actor, but I think he has shown some range with a lot of his movies.

andyfox
11-29-2004, 01:00 PM
Me too. I do think he's extraordinarily funny though.

theBruiser500
11-29-2004, 02:51 PM
is the majestic good?

stabn
11-29-2004, 02:55 PM
I have to disagree. I think he's mostly a guy with a funny rubbery face that's ok in specific types of comedy. He has a new movie coming out (A series of unfortunate events), in which i really can't picture him being the villian. I think it should have been john malcovich.

wayabvpar
11-29-2004, 02:58 PM
I LOATHE Jim Carrey. He is an unfunny narcissistic clown.

Sponger15SB
11-29-2004, 03:00 PM
He is a good actor, but I thought he was HORRIBLE in Bruce Almighty.

They might has well have had just had 1 giant closeup of Jim for the entire movie, and just cut out all the plot, because it wasn't even funny how hard he .... uh .... was trying to be funny...yeah.

CCass
11-29-2004, 04:01 PM
I have never been a Carrey fan, but he has made a couple of good movies.

JC has been cast as Col. Steve Austin in the upcoming movie adaptation of "The Six Million Dollar Man". WTF are these guys thinking? No way Carrey can fill Lee Majors' shoes.

Has JC ever banged Farrah Fawcett?
Has JC ever starred in a TV series with Linda Evans?
Has JC ever co-starred with Lindsay Wagner?
Has JC ever co-starred with Markie Post?

Carrey can only dream of traveling the same path as Lee Majors.

PSA for all the 25 (and under) crowd on the women listed above. All of them were extremely hot back in the day.

jakethebake
11-29-2004, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
is the majestic good?

[/ QUOTE ]I thought it was terrible, but not because Carrey was bad.

jakethebake
11-29-2004, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Has JC ever banged Farrah Fawcett?
Has JC ever starred in a TV series with Linda Evans?
Has JC ever co-starred with Lindsay Wagner?
Has JC ever co-starred with Markie Post?

PSA for all the 25 (and under) crowd on the women listed above. All of them were extremely hot back in the day.

[/ QUOTE ]Lindsey Wagner was hot? I remember my friends and I having discussions about who was stupid enough to cast her because the bionic woman should have been hot, but she wasn't.

jakethebake
11-29-2004, 04:06 PM
I heard he was going to be Darren in bewitched, and thought he'd be perfect. He even looks like one of those guys (Dick Sargent, Dick York or Seargent York). But I heard he pulled out and now Will Ferrell will play the part. I like Ferrell much better, but not for this part.

BK_
11-29-2004, 04:53 PM
i think jim carrey has incredible talent. his performances in dramatic roles have been getting increasingly better over time. like him or not, he has an undeniable presence as an actor