PDA

View Full Version : Jack-High and Jim McManus

ToledoTommy
11-29-2004, 02:57 AM
I was reminded of the Jim McManus-Elix Powers episode tonight during the repeat of the TOC. After reading Positively Fifth Street, I saw McManus as a very easy-going mellow hippie type. On TV he looked like a stodgy old man while the real pros, John Hennigan and David Chiu, had no trouble with what Powers was doing. Any thoughts?

nothumb
11-29-2004, 03:07 AM
McManus is clearly (and this is evident in Positively Fifth Street) a sort of Type-A guy who is trying to develop a more relaxed outlook on life. He is still pretty macho in the moment. I haven't seen the episode you refer to but I assume Powers kind of puts McManus on tilt.

What's funny is that McManus mocks himself for being such a neophyte in his own book. Dunno how he handled himself in the situation you are describing.

NT

AngryCola
11-29-2004, 03:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dunno how he handled himself in the situation you are describing

[/ QUOTE ]

Very badly, IMO.

One of the other players raised in the dark. McManus calls him out and starts berating the guy about it. He tells the guy, "That's disrespecting the game!"

Nobody at the table agreed with him.

Later in the game, McManus called down that same player with Queen high the whole way. His opponent mistakingly thought (quick glance) it was Jack high and said, "You call me with a Jack high?!!" I think McManus came off looking a little foolish.

free bertuzzi
11-29-2004, 03:38 AM
"He called me with Jack HIGH!!@#$!"

mojorisin24
11-29-2004, 03:51 AM
I think what happened there was a miscalculation by McManus as to whether the other players at the table were sick of Powers's act. McManus thought that everyone else was annoyed by Powers, too, so when he confronted him he thought he would have support. Unfortunately for him, no one else agreed, and McManus looked foolish trying to desperately berate Powers for his play, grasping for straws as the pros simply disagreed. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

deacsoft
11-29-2004, 04:42 AM
Mr. McManus was clearly tilting.

PoBoy321
11-29-2004, 04:52 AM
Yeah, McManus was definitely tilting, but didn't he end up busting powers with a set of 6s? I mean, I don't know if it was intentional, but I think that his outburst and calling down with Q high definitely lead Powers to believe that his 2nd button was good later on.

AngryCola
11-29-2004, 05:25 AM
Powers was all-in before the flop, as I recall. If McManus did beat him with a set of sixes, I seem to remember he had two overs before the flop, and picked up a draw to win the hand by the turn.

McManus's apparent image to Powers really didn't have anything to do with the hand he busted out on. I do remember that much.

willie
11-29-2004, 09:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Powers was all-in before the flop, as I recall. If McManus did beat him with a set of sixes, I seem to remember he had two overs before the flop, and picked up a draw to win the hand by the turn.

McManus's apparent image to Powers really didn't have anything to do with the hand he busted out on. I do remember that much.

[/ QUOTE ]

not the way i remember it

he 3 bet preflop and i believe the flop went capped on a 367 flop or something of that nature

and he didn't bust elix there anyway, he did cripple him i believe though

7n7
11-29-2004, 10:00 AM
Elix cracks me up. I was at the Bike during the WPT event (the one Doyle won) a few months back and was watching one of the smaller buy-in tourneys prior to the main event. I noticed Elix wandering around outside, smoking and laughing it up with the fans. I also noticed an empty chair at one of the tables near the doors where we could stand. I watched the blinds come around at least 3 times and started to wonder who would buy in and then leave his seat for that long.

Sure enough, about 10 minutes later, 'ol Elix takes the seat. That guy can't sit still for 15 minutes it seems.

RowdyZ
11-29-2004, 01:36 PM
I don't remeber Powers being allin before the flop either. however based on his play that day I don't think he had any concept of other peoples play, he was playing fast and loose againist everybody, he got lucky a couple of times early but was bleeding chips off pretty quick before he was taken out. "World" Henningan(Sp?) wasn't as affected by Powers but he did ask for the floor to be called. Also Powers raising in the dark wasn't a one time thing, we only got to see it the one time because of the reaction to it but all the reports I read said that Powers raised in the dark several times.

tubbyspencer
12-01-2004, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
All the reports I read said that Powers raised in the dark several times.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would ANYONE complain about that?

Patrick del Poker Grande
12-01-2004, 02:01 PM
This episode is on right now (11:00am MDT) on ESPN2 for anyone with access to a tv.

shummie
12-01-2004, 02:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All the reports I read said that Powers raised in the dark several times.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would ANYONE complain about that?

[/ QUOTE ]

If the tactic was working for Elix, and I thought I could get support from the table to peer presure him into using it less, I might call him out on it.

I haven't thought about it too much, but I'm not so sure having your opponent bet in the dark is always good for you.

- Jason

jwvdcw
12-01-2004, 06:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he was not all in preflop. He bet out on the flop and turn to go all in IIRC.