PDA

View Full Version : Nice start

onegymrat
11-29-2004, 02:45 AM
9/18 Commerce, full. I just posted in the cutoff for my first hand of the day. Two limpers to me and I see 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. I check my option. Button and SB calls. BB raises. All call. Six to the flop.

FLOP: 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif3 /images/graemlins/club.gif

SB checks. BB bets. EP (poor playing old man) raises. One fold. I 3-bet. Button and SB folds. BB calls time and mumbles about having a bad day and eventually folds while throwing the cards at the dealer. EP caps. I call. Headsup.

TURN: 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif

EP bets. I call.

RIVER: J /images/graemlins/club.gif

EP pauses for ten seconds and checks. I bet. He calls.

My main concern is whether my river bet was correct or not.

Comments please.

Klepton
11-29-2004, 02:54 AM
seems standard, if you raise the turn and he re-raises, you're gonna have to call to try and fill up.

After thinking that long and then checking i think he figured he only wanted one bet on the river. Easy value bet there.

I played the 15-30 on wednesday, less loose passives and more loose aggressives. Try it next time.

Michael Davis
11-29-2004, 04:46 AM
River bet yes.

I raise the turn a lot because I like to play with cards without suits. Depends on the player, but I lean towards raising against almost all because bad players often don't raise flush draws because they don't have a hand yet and good players don't raise them in that position because they don't want to clear out the field. (Even if it would often be correct to raise here, especially with two overcards.)

-Michael

onegymrat
11-29-2004, 01:51 PM
I strongly considered raising the turn especially since I had another card coming anyway, and if another club came, I could see the river for free. That is, of course, barring a 3-bet on the turn by EP.

EP had 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif4 /images/graemlins/club.gif for a flopped straight and turned flush. I guess he checked the river fearing I had a bigger flush. I like my river bet for many reasons but seeing EP bet the turn without hesitation should have alerted me to check the river in this case.

James282
11-29-2004, 03:41 PM
You should be more concerned with why you didn't raise the turn. Your river bet is good.
-James

Six_of_One
11-29-2004, 08:28 PM
I'm late to this thread so I've seen the results, but my first instinct was to put EP on a small flush. Unless you thought his delay before checking was just an act, I think a river check is the best play, because a "poor playing old man" is not going to fold his flush for one bet, no matter how small it is.

I would have raised the turn, though.

lil feller
11-29-2004, 08:35 PM
I know I'm late, and I haven't read any other responses, but here's my thought.

I don't think the question should be whether or not your river bet was good. It should be obvious that it is, unless he flopped a straight (don't see a bad player raising with a flush draw here) and put you on a flush draw. The real issue you should be concerend with is that if you think your river bet was good (which you must have at the time, you made it), then you missed a bet by not raising the turn. If I were to worry about anything, I'd worry about that. I'll go read the results now and I expect to for him to have limped w/ 46s and flopped a straight.

NMcNasty
11-29-2004, 08:40 PM
I definitely would have raised preflop, you want as many overcards as possible out of the pot. Against certain passive players I would just call the turn, but most of the time I'm raising. With the check on the river I'm betting.

onegymrat
11-29-2004, 10:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...because a "poor playing old man" is not going to fold his flush for one bet, no matter how small it is.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that this is the key issue. Could he fold a small flush? I was new to the table but vaguely remembered villain as a loose playing weak old man. Because of his strong bet on the turn, I should have known better. His pause on the river showed me that he had genuine skeptism about betting, which made my bet correct against most players. However, should this hand have come up two hours later, I would have checked behind.

worm33
11-29-2004, 11:18 PM
I dont mind not raising the turn all that much if you plan on raising the river when a non club hits. Of course this only works on a player whos going to pay u off with any 7, 88 or something like 5-3 on the river, and is not going to 3 bet u on the river without the nut flush. Sometimes I wont raise this turn, because 1. I want to see the river and 2. I dont want to get 3 bet by a better hand when I have 10 outs.

mudpuddle
11-30-2004, 01:35 AM
You can't possibly bet the river here. If the EP made it this far he's going to call and its very unlikely you get to the river if he has no club. He checks on the end because he has small clubs but you have to check behind here you have no arrows for your bow.