PDA

View Full Version : On the button all-in bluff... good move?

snowbank
11-29-2004, 02:20 AM
Is pushing when short stacked in a tourney a good move when you are on the button?

My situation... In a tourney this weekend.(I don't have much multi-table tourney experience) 1101 entries. 45 players left. I'm on the button with Q-8 off. Folded around to me. I think I had like 13,000. Blinds were 1,000/2,000. Not sure what average stack was, but I think I was in 36th place.(could be wrong) I was trying to steal the blinds, so I moved all-in. I didn't think just raising would do any good. Big blind had AK and called, knocking me out of the tourney in 45th place. How bad a move was this? Any comments, suggestions? Thanks.

willie24
11-29-2004, 02:29 AM
your bluff was fine. you were unfortunate that he had AK, and also unfortunate that his AK beat you. dont worry about it

JaBlue
11-29-2004, 05:35 AM
Your play was fine, but I'd much rather do it in CO or CO-1. "Never steal from the button" is a pretty good maxim to live by in tournaments where a lot of the competition is made up of decent players (I'll let you decide if this is the case or not /images/graemlins/smile.gif).

ZootMurph
11-29-2004, 10:17 AM
Stealing at this point in a tournament is always a good play. And, being shortstacked you really have no alternative but to push it all in.

You were unlucky to run into AK.