PDA

View Full Version : 99 hand

ucfryan
11-29-2004, 01:33 AM
First real post here, so hello everyone. I've been playing for a few months now, but read SSH twice and started reading the forums daily after I felt my game could use improvement. Anyway, I'm fairly sure I played this hand well up until the river, but I'm not sure if I should've checked behind or bet, so I'd like to get your opinions on that. This is only the 4th hand at the table since I've sat down but the table seems pretty tight overall. No read on BB yet as I just joined the table (I know that's a bad thing here).

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, MP2 folds, Hero calls, Button calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, BB calls.

** Standard raise, he pauses for a couple of seconds and then calls so I'm pretty sure at this point he has something like AK or AQ suited. **

Turn: (7.25 BB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

** Little confused by this here, he bets the flop but then check-raises the turn. Now I'm thinking he could have 1010 or JJ. **

River: (11.25 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

** Further confused by the check on the river after c/r the turn and I'm not sure that this was the right play. What do you put him on? **

Final Pot: 13.25 BB

JDErickson
11-29-2004, 01:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
but only recently found the forums here and read SSH (twice).

[/ QUOTE ]

Read the book twice but never been here? hmmmm

JDErickson
11-29-2004, 01:39 AM
I play it the same way. Nice hand

Question is. Do you fold to a river CR?

ucfryan
11-29-2004, 01:40 AM
I should rephrase that. I've been reading posts here since I started reading SSH, but never posted myself.

Shillx
Welcome to the forums.

BB played this hand almost exactly like I would play AA (aside from checking the river). I would probably take the free showdown here. Virtually all players who check-raise the turn as a bluff/semi-bluff will fire again on the river. It looks like he has an overpair and just froze up. Given the strength you have shown in this hand, he might not call you if he has something like AQ but will surely call if he has you beat. I think this is a good time for the "only a better hand will call" arguement.

Feel free to disagree.

Shill

GrunchCan
Welcome to the forums.

Nice hand.

ucfryan
11-29-2004, 01:42 AM
Good point and that's exactly what he had.

Hero shows [ 9h, 9d ] a pair of nines.
Villain shows [ Ad, As ] a pair of aces.

JDErickson
11-29-2004, 01:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think if your opponent bet the river then you could fold with confidence.

I see way too many idiots play this same way with gutshot draws or some other wierd crap.

Shillx
11-29-2004, 01:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I see way too many idiots play this same way with gutshot draws or some other wierd crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

BB 3-bet preflop. He surely has overcards or an overpair...

Aaron W.
11-29-2004, 01:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No read on BB yet as I just joined the table (I know that's a bad thing here).

[/ QUOTE ]

What? Joining new tables? It happens /images/graemlins/smile.gif. Seriously, though, it's true that reads are important, but there are lots of times where you simply don't have them.

[ QUOTE ]
** Further confused by the check on the river after c/r the turn and I'm not sure that this was the right play. What do you put him on? **

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody has explicitly pointed this out (unless I missed it), but there's a 4-straight on the board. Many players will check-call out of position on the river to such a board, regardless of how unlikely it is that the other actually has it (based on how the hand played out).

ucfryan
11-29-2004, 01:56 AM
That's actually a really good question and I'm not sure. I don't think I've ever had someone check raise me and then check on the following street. I should've checked behind because I'm probably not going to get called with a hand I can beat like Shill said.

JDErickson
11-29-2004, 02:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BB 3-bet preflop. He surely has overcards or an overpair...

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see what you mean but.... read this thread

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Number=1314700&amp;page=0&amp;view=colla psed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=14&amp;fpart=1#Post1315122

Shillx
11-29-2004, 02:05 AM
Yeah that hand was a classic. I can just see the masses of 2+2er's seeking this guy out as we speak. I hope he has a gigantic bankroll to blow.