PDA

View Full Version : PL tourney hand that hurt me

02-11-2002, 08:24 PM
In an online pot limit HE tournament I have about T2850 at the 50/100 blind level. A good player with T8000 limps UTG. Folded to me on the button and I call with 56o. Flop is 3 5 6. The little blind with about T2000 bets the pot. I have no read on this player. Folded to me. I raised the pot.

Based on this information, was my raise correct?

02-12-2002, 12:32 PM
hmmm interesting. i guess you can pretty much rule out a flopped str8, unless he knows that you will pay him off when he fast plays his lucky flop.... Chances are that you are best here..

Hands that he can have to raise the pot there is 36, 45, 56, A6, and A4. against all those hands you are in the lead. Not to mention if he's playing you with a slowplayed big pocket pair, such as 88, 99, or TT, he's in real trouble. Your raise of the pot is correct, HOWEVER you should realize that if a scare card comes on the turn or river, you have to ask yourself if it's correct to shut down and fold.....

If you think he will fold to your pot raise on the flop, your raise is correct. if you think he will call, be careful, because a pot size raise there looks like you want to blow him off whatever hand he has, hence you do NOT want action.

I'll tell you one thing though....the pot sized raise here would make the other player think you have either set, or overpair. if you think he has overpair, and a blank comes on turn, it will probably be cheap to see the river, because you do have position on him(here you can raise the pot again and make him lay down.)

blatherpunk

02-12-2002, 08:59 PM
I would raise. If he re-raises then you need to decide if he would only do it with a set/str or if he could try to steal with a draw.

Ken Poklitar

ohKanada@hotmail.com

02-12-2002, 09:32 PM
Well, it turned out he had in fact flopped the straight with 2-4, so he called immediately (he was the little blind, remember.) My raising the pot put him all in. I got to thinking later, why raise on the flop, because if he has any intelligence at all, he can't call for his whole stack unless he has a straight or a set. I had put him on something like A-6, most players would muck this for a pot sized raise. If he has an overpair, I would WANT him in, so I should have just CALLED, THEN raised on the turn.

Then again, it probably doesnt matter what it do on the flops, because with these two hands, all the $$ is going in on the turn (unless a scare card comes off on the turn, I might have to muck.) So maybe it's just a queation of: I flopped a very good hand, he flopped a lock, and there was no way all the money was not goin in.