PDA

View Full Version : Question concerning dealer reading hands

Redeye
11-28-2004, 09:38 PM
I was playing 6/12 at Canterbury over the weekend and an interesting situation came up that I realized I didn't know the offical ruling of and the floor was not able to provide a suitable answer. Here's the situation:

Two people were involved in a hand at showdown. The board was AxK33. The first guy had AQ and was pissed when he flipped over his cards and the dealer instantly ready his hand before the second person showed their hand or had a chance to muck. Basically this guy felt that the dealer should not have read his hand so that the second person (if they didn't just flip over thier hand), could have inadvertantly thrown away a hand that chopped with him.

Does anyone know the rule here? Maybe its obvious, but the dealer wasn't too sure, nor was the floorperson that was conctacted. (The floor person actually tried to say it was fine, but the explanation was poor and I wasn't satisfied)

Any info is appreciated. Thanks

Sponger15SB
11-28-2004, 10:02 PM
so the guy was mad at the dealer for not allowing anyone to screw up and much a potential winner?

yeah [censored] that dealer.

juanez
11-28-2004, 10:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Two people were involved in a hand at showdown. The board was AxK33. The first guy had AQ and was pissed when he flipped over his cards and the dealer instantly ready his hand before the second person showed their hand or had a chance to muck. Basically this guy felt that the dealer should not have read his hand so that the second person (if they didn't just flip over thier hand), could have inadvertantly thrown away a hand that chopped with him.

[/ QUOTE ]

In "The Professional Poker Dealers Handbook", co-authored by Mason Malmuth, it is written in the Reading Hands chapter:

" Don't wait for all the players to show their hands. As soon as any hand is shown, go ahead and read it, announcing the value out loud ."

I think that clears that one up. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

slavic
11-28-2004, 10:45 PM
We have a local dealer who reads the hand as soon as shown. He's quick pays attention to the game, treats players right, and keeps the pace going. His hand reading simply moves the game along, forcing the other person not to longingly stare at the board.

Read away baby, read away.

Russ McGinley
11-28-2004, 11:26 PM
Just to concur with everyone (in other words, add nothing to this topic), the dealers always read the board and show what his hand is. Anyone who cries about it just joins the ever-growing list of morons to populate cardrooms across America.

Redeye
11-29-2004, 02:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
We have a local dealer who reads the hand as soon as shown. He's quick pays attention to the game, treats players right, and keeps the pace going. His hand reading simply moves the game along, forcing the other person not to longingly stare at the board.

Read away baby, read away.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I totally agree with you here. It sounds like the dealer was doing it right, I just thought the argument was interesting and wanted to find out what the proper action was. The thing that annoys me most when playing live is dealers who don't pay attention and keep the game moving fast. There are some dealers I've played with that that probably increase the hands/hr by almost 50%, they are so efficient.