PDA

View Full Version : computer help

rusty JEDI
11-28-2004, 09:03 PM
I have errors on my hard drive. I think the hard disk or whatever it is is messed up. Its causing mucho problemo. Is there anything i should try first? Is there any way to try and fix the errors?

Thanks

rJ

Blarg
11-28-2004, 10:05 PM
Have you checked for viruses?

Leo99
11-28-2004, 10:06 PM
If I were you, I'd buy a new hard drive. They're cheap these days. Buy it NOW. Install it and transfer over everything on your hard drive with a utility that comes with the new hard drive or get Ghost to do it.

You can go your hard drive vendor's webpage and download their troubleshooting software. You can run checkdisk but if you keep messing with the old drive, eventually it will break and your old stuff will be lost.

AngryCola
11-28-2004, 10:12 PM
This post lacks enough information for me to give you a quality answer. I will suggest this much-

- Run a complete Scandisk check, including checks for bad sectors. Search the internet if you are unclear about how to use scandisk.

- Update virus software, and run a complete scan

Things get a little more complicated after that. I would need more specific information to help out any further.

mikeyvegas
11-28-2004, 10:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have errors on my hard drive. I think the hard disk or whatever it is is messed up. Its causing mucho problemo. Is there anything i should try first? Is there any way to try and fix the errors?

Thanks

rJ

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of errors? When are these errors occuring(boot up, while in the os)? Is you hard drive making any noises?

Answers to these questions will help in diagnosing the problem. If the drive is going bad, than buying a new hard drive and imaging the old one is pretty easy. If its the OS, reinstalling the os or fixing it can be the answer too.

AngryCola
11-28-2004, 10:14 PM
That advice is a little excessive, considering we don't really know if his problem is a result of a bad hard drive.

Leo99
11-28-2004, 10:15 PM
:-)

Agreed.

I snapped and went all in prematurely.

astroglide
11-29-2004, 06:12 PM
http://faq.storagereview.com/tiki-index.php?page=DiskDiags