PDA

View Full Version : Strategy vs. Sweating - Seperate Forums??

MicroBob
11-28-2004, 07:55 PM
This may have been discussed before....but, like usual, I missed it.

Hi -
I have noticed that this forum now seems to serve very different functions.

One is the discussion of how to play in MTT's ("how did I play this hand??" etc etc).
The other function is for 'sweating and cheering' threads. ("I'm in the Stars 250k. Who else?? Anyone want to sweat me??").

I like the 2+2 kin-ship that we have in the sweating forums (congrats again mangtang on the empire WSOP freeroll for example).
But I also think it is detracting from what I believe was the original function of the MTT forum which I think is (gasp) actual MTT strategy.

I think seperate forums for these purposes might be best.
Although the decision isn't up to me of course, I just wanted to present the idea and see what others think.

If others agree then perhaps the moderators will be as well.
If others don't agree then I guess that solves that.

I think a seperate forum could be used for tourney-sweating, private-tourney invites ("hey, anybody want to start a private-tourney on stars") and maybe even leagues such as KOTZ and HOLA.
Also, I think any journal-type stuff might be a better fit in this type of tourney-sweating forum as well although that may be stretching it.

Those are just some off-the-cuff thoughts.
Feedback appreciated.

partygirluk
11-28-2004, 07:58 PM
Hey Bob. You beat me to it. I was going to post the exact same suggestion. It is very frustrating when one posts a strategy question and ten minutes later it has been drowned by a bunch of "Out in 415th" type posts.

This is a necessity IMHO

VinnyTheFish
11-28-2004, 08:12 PM
I think that "sweating" is fine here. This is the palce for it BUT should meet one or two of teh following:

1) Tourn. is huge i.e. 500K, 250K or any special
2) You are at the final table
3) The payday must be over $1000 (1st place around 3K or more)
4) It's your 1st final table .. ok - we'll sweat it

This is my opinion, although I enjoy sweating and/or saying "hi"

I do firmly agree that too much sweat has been asked for, not to mention post any everyday tourn post i.e. "who's playing?" does need to be cut down on.

Che
11-28-2004, 08:34 PM
There was a recent thread on splitting the forum based on tourney buyin amount, and I meant to suggest splitting into multitable strategy and multitable sweat instead but never got around to it.

I like the sweat threads and the strategy threads and will continue to participate in both, but I agree with those who have said the two functions are distinct enough to warrant separate forums.

The sweat threads have been growing in popularity over the past few months to the point that they dominate the board at times (especially on Sunday, but occasionally at other times). I can certainly understand why those who do not participate in the sweat threads would want them moved elsewhere, and I think the division would make it easier for the rest of us to keep track of the threads we're currently following.

Thanks for bringing it up,
Che

MrX
11-28-2004, 08:34 PM
I think one thread for all the major tournaments is fine and a very appropriate use of the forum.

I have to admit the "come sweat me I am in the 500 FPP satellite" is excessive though.

I personally like anyone who is at the final table to make a post because if I have time I open up the tourney on a seperate monitor and have some fun watching it.

MrX

woodguy
11-28-2004, 08:39 PM
MicroBob,

I agree 100%.

I post in both types of threads, but often I'll see a good strategy post get buried by a *OFFICAL PARTY $XXX* thread.

What if we ask for a "MT Tournaments in progress" sub-forum to be added to the Tournament Poker section of the site?

What does everyone think?

Regards,
Woodguy

MicroBob
11-28-2004, 08:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I do firmly agree that too much sweat has been asked for, not to mention post any everyday tourn post i.e. "who's playing?" does need to be cut down on.

[/ QUOTE ]

In this case then we don't exactly agree (sorry Vinny) although I do see your point.

I really do like the sweat-threads even though they are over-taking this forum.

If other people like them also I don't know why we should have to make stipulations as to which tourneys are big enough to warrant such threads.

If I'm playing in a tourney then I'm trying to win and it doesn't matter whether it's a freeroll, $3-rebuy satellite, or $100 sunday Empire $50k.

If there are other 2+2'ers in the same tourney I sometimes like to chat with them throughout.
And I also think it's helpful when some of us sweat each other...("I saw that hand and think you could have been more aggressive PF Bob." etc etc).

If a bunch of people want to get together and talk about their $3-satellite then I think they should be allowed to.

In other words....I do NOT think there is necessarily too much of it going on.
The amount of it going on is just that....the amount that it is going on.

the fact that we have so many of these threads indicates that people enjoy doing them.....and possibly gain some benefit from them as well.

VinnyTheFish
11-28-2004, 08:56 PM
Very good points.

ZootMurph
11-28-2004, 10:46 PM
My opinion, for what it's worth:

I think there should be a separate 'sweat' or 'Official XXX tourney' forum for two reasons, both already mentioned in this thread.

1) This forum is seeing more 'sweat' or 'Official XXX tourney' threads. Although it isn't overrunning this forum yet, it has increased in recent months and will probably continue to increase.
2) It IS nice to chat with other 2+2ers, talk about hands, and watch other 2+2ers ocassionally. With a separate forum for this, I believe this could become a bigger phenomenon and in turn this could help many of us improve our game in a different way (e.g. - I play such and such a hand the same way basically every time, thinking it is a standard play... someone sees me play and tells me a better way to play because of the 'sweat' forum. Normally, I wouldn't ever have posted or asked.)

Oblomov
11-29-2004, 05:02 AM
I agree that an separate sweat me section would be an excellent idea. Or that at the very least, these requests should be restricted to one thread. Maybe a respected veteran poster could open an official 'sweat me' thread. When all of the requests would go into that one thread, they would not take up very much room.

Seems like this calls for some active moderation.

ilya
11-29-2004, 12:58 PM
As someone who makes his strategy posts in the 1-Table forum, and mostly comes to the MTT forum to flood it with sweat threads, hmm, what was I gonna say. Oh yes. Bob, I agree. I think a separate forum for sweating would be a good idea. Though it would be gross to have a link on the left that said "Sweat."

zaxx19
11-29-2004, 01:04 PM
Honestly though I dont sweat people bc I dont even have stars on my comp ... it really isnt a problem. I just dont look at the threads...sometimes i think you guys are proactive with this board sometimes anal...I still cant decide though its probably good that there are regulars with some idea of protocal who are vigilant.

Lurshy
11-29-2004, 01:05 PM
I read both types of threads usually, and can easily skip the sweating threads if I wanted too. So, keeping them in one forum is fine for me, but its no big deal if they were split out either.

ugaistheteam
11-29-2004, 01:15 PM
Hey yall, Im in the 1.00 NL tourney at www.wasteoftimepoker.com (http://www.wasteoftimepoker.com), will yall come watch me?

La Brujita
11-29-2004, 01:40 PM
I think separating the forums is not a bad idea at all.

[ QUOTE ]
I have to admit the "come sweat me I am in the 500 FPP satellite" is excessive though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this a bit. Barry Greenstein might find the sweat me in the Sunday 500 a bit excessive as well. Poker is a relative game, not absolute. People play for different reasons and one of the main reasons to get sweat is to have others share in your accomplishments and watch and critique your play, it is not always to show that you have or might win big amounts.

Just my two cents but I don't see why someone in a small buy in should feel any hesitation in asking for sweat.

MicroBob
11-30-2004, 04:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just my two cents but I don't see why someone in a small buy in should feel any hesitation in asking for sweat.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I essentially said as well (although I took much longer to say it).

I was thinking about this a bit more after I wrote my post and I remembered my 'early days' of online-poker and how freaking pumped I was when I finished 5th in a Stars $1 tourney with a ton of players. i won $75. It was my first final-table. I was bragging to my GF about it for crying out loud.

I remember making the jump up from $5 SNG's and taking a stab at a couple of $10 SNG's which I considered a 'big jump' at the time.

Very few of us started out playing $100 buy-ins and higher.
But, theoretically, we are all trying to improve our tourney play.

Freerolls or huge buy-ins.....doing well is doing well.

knifeandfork
11-30-2004, 10:26 AM
where is stevedapimp when you need him?