PDA

View Full Version : Ugh. I'm confused, again.

shadow29
11-28-2004, 06:32 PM
Same new table; no reads.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif. CO posts a blind of $0.5.
<font color="666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, CO (poster) calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls, SB calls, BB folds.

River: (11.50 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero folds, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">CO caps</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 21.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 21.50 BB, between SB and CO.</font>

shadow29
11-28-2004, 08:01 PM
bump

toss
11-28-2004, 08:05 PM
Make the crying call.

Entity
11-28-2004, 08:05 PM
I don't know that I'd bet the turn.

River fold is tough but you're going to have to be good here 1 in 7 times, possibly more often because of the likelihood of chopping; with a 4-straight on board they're raising anyway. My guess is one has a Q and the other has a flush.

Rob

Entity
11-28-2004, 08:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Make the crying call.

[/ QUOTE ]
I dunno. I think with the likelihood of chopping here, you'll be risking 3 bets to win 10.75 too often.

I'd probably begrudgingly fold this as well.

Rob

toss
11-28-2004, 08:11 PM
But broadway is soooo pretty.

But your right, the pot isn't big enough.

shadow29
11-28-2004, 08:24 PM
That was my thinking too, I figured that if I called, it would get 3-bet too often.

Of course, I folded.

Look at these results:

SevenSins shows [ Jh, Ts ] two pairs, jacks and tens.
AaronStuart shows [ Qh, 3c ] a straight, ten to ace.
AaronStuart wins $20.5 from the main pot with a straight, ten to ace.

I turned off my computer.

Just to be clear, however, this is not a bad beat post. I honestly had no idea where I was in this hand.

RE: betting the turn-

I assume that my hand is best until someone tells me that it isn't. I think betting the turn is just a standard application of that principle. Am I wrong?

Aaron W.
11-28-2004, 08:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
RE: betting the turn-

I assume that my hand is best until someone tells me that it isn't. I think betting the turn is just a standard application of that principle. Am I wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on your opponents. You're wrong to assume this all the time, just as it is wrong to assume that you must be behind all the time when you get called when betting pocket pairs into overcards. This is why reads are so important.

In this case, I would have check-called the turn unless I knew that they would raise me with either an ace or a king. The board was scary enough that a passive player could easily be check-calling with a weak ace or weak king. I would also fold the river unimproved, or fold to two bets as was the case here.

Entity
11-28-2004, 08:52 PM
The reason I don't like betting the turn here (I don't hate it, but I don't like it a ton) is without reads on my opponents, they're more likely than not to be calling me down with a weak piece of it -- something like A3o.

If they raise me on this turn, for whatever reason, I have to call, and so I don't necessarily like betting. I'd rather get to showdown cheaply here.

Rob