PDA

View Full Version : S/H Newbie Observations - Week 1

Festus22
11-28-2004, 04:57 PM
Just completed my first week playing pretty much 100% 6-max games and had an absolute blast. To get my feet wet, I stuck to low limit Party and Stars and observed what's been mentioned here many times, the competition was, well, not too swift. I did pretty good but I don't know if I'm running hot or my opponents were that bad but it certainly was a chance to open up my otherwise boring tight style and have at it. Anyway, here's a few observations and questions:

Observations:
Even playing just 3 tables, I'm fried after 1 hour. I have not even tried 4 tables yet. How some of you do 4 or more for long periods of time escapes me at this point.

The revolving door syndrome makes it basically impossible to get anything other than a cursory read on any one opponent. MUCH worse than 10-handed.

Marginal hands (2nd or third pair, ace high, etc.) don't win as often as I thought they would. That was an early adjustment I had to make.

There's much more "poker" than 10-handed. I think I bluffed more this past week than the previous 6 months combined. I may have gone a little overboard but at the micro level, they work quite often.

Draws, unless they're monsters or have other winning chances, are not nearly as strong as 10-handed. This really isn't big news or anything but coming from the 10-handed ranks, I had to focus much more on pot and implied odds S/H and was a definite adjustment.

Questions:
My VPIP, including the blinds, is a shade over 30%. Seems a bit too tight. Agree? PF raise % is 12-ish.

UTG I'm open raising down to maybe K-Ts, 8-8 or higher, A-9s or better, A-10o or better and Q-Js. I may have limped a couple of times with Q or J-10s but that's been rare. I'm usually folding 7's or lower and suited aces. Seem reasonable?

I haven't played hardly any little suited connectors (9-8s or lower) unless it's been a limp fest or I'm in a blind. Again, reasonable?

It's stuff like K-xs or Q-8s on the button after 1 limper or A-xo in the SB after a limper or 2 that I'm not sure what to do with. I've been folding most of them. Should I be giving these a go?

There were times when I felt like a total calling station with something like TPWK or 2nd pair and someone kept betting into me HU. My initial impression though is that calling down is a much bigger weapon in these games. Agree with this sentiment?

That's about it for now. It sure looks like you guys have a nice little gold mine here. I hope the secret doesn't get out.

wuwei
11-28-2004, 05:53 PM
Hey Festus,

I'm the same position as you, recently started playing some 6max and having a blast. What a great game.

I agree completely on multitabling. I can't imagine playing 4-8 tables like lots of guys do here. That's pretty damn impressive.

[ QUOTE ]
The revolving door syndrome makes it basically impossible to get anything other than a cursory read on any one opponent. MUCH worse than 10-handed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to strongly disagree with this. I find it easier to get reads in a sh game, and the improvement in my abilities here is one of the things that keep me coming back to these games. It's easier because you play so many more hands, and there are less players to focus on.

It's also much more important in sh games. For example, you need to figure out quickly who the guys are that will fire away into 2-3 other people without catching any piece of the flop. Figure out who they are and prey on them.

One thing I've found that seems to improve continuity at my tables is sitting down at a table that's 3 or 4 handed. Find the guys who are willing to play this way. They are more likely to stick around when things get short, and eventually the revolving door will let in another player who wants to play a long session. Tables will stabalize, allowing you to get quality reads.

Good luck,

helpmeout
11-28-2004, 06:39 PM
Some good observations.

Dont worry about 4tabling, those guys are robots. Its not how many hands you play but how well you play them.

VPIP you want between 20-25% slightly looser is ok at $1/$2 since it is a limpfest.

KXs Q8s etc after one limper are pretty marginal it really depends on how good you are postflop and how loose the blinds are. I think best to wait for 2 limpers.

Calling down is always underrated especially against bluffers and LAGs.

SH is a goldmine but dont worry most of the weak/tights playing fullhand wont move over so we are safe.

bugstud
11-28-2004, 07:38 PM
Use PT and try to seperate your VPIP by position. It should give a better idea on how your PF play is.

Mr. Graff
11-28-2004, 07:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Some good observations.

Dont worry about 4tabling, those guys are robots. Its not how many hands you play but how well you play them.

[/ QUOTE ]
And some of them can't handle 4-tabling. A guy like MasConfusion is constantly timing out and having to post blinds in MP as a result.

[ QUOTE ]
SH is a goldmine but dont worry most of the weak/tights playing fullhand wont move over so we are safe.

[/ QUOTE ]
And they would need to make some serious adjustments. Perhaps they are just better suited for full ring games. No reason to spread the word around though, Festis /images/graemlins/wink.gif