PDA

View Full Version : PLHE hand

02-07-2002, 05:03 AM
Pot limit hold'em, rebuys over. 60 players started the tournament, about 40 remain at seven tables (no kidding!). Blinds are 200-400, I have 3400.

We're six handed. I am UTG. I have KJ offsuit.

This goes in the muck, right? Or is the table sufficiently short handed to make a semi-steal viable from UTG? I am getting a decent amount of respect for my preflop raises.

I made what I know to be a mistake and called. I knew it was wrong at the time. Duh. Anyway, all six players come in for an unraised flop of J98, two clubs.

Checked to me. Now what?

Guy.

02-07-2002, 10:35 AM
Bet $1000 and see what happens, or check and be prepared to fold. Or, check and if the button bets, and the intervening players fold, check-raise all-in if it's enough to get him to fold his bluffs/semi-bluffs.

Heck, I don't know. Your call and 5 other limpers makes it hard to know what to do. You can't put anybody beyond holding QT, J9, and the like, but you hate to give a free card if you are ahead. Time to guess right.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

02-08-2002, 03:19 AM
Greg,

Actually, I like check in this situation and reraising only if the person last to act bets and I'm sure he's trying to steal. I think it comes down to a judgement of players on what you think they will do. But, if someone bets before the last to act, I'd worry about being beat.

Anyway, I think if Guy is getting respect, he should raise just to take the blinds.

Good Luck

Mark

02-11-2002, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the responses.

Not that it matters, but here's what happened.

I bet the flop, almost all-in since I bet the size of the pot for the sake of consistency. The player on my left called all-in. Another player with slightly fewer chips than me also called.

Turn card was another 8. I check, the other player with chips bet all-in. It was only a little bit more so I called. She showed 99 for a

full house, having flopped a set. The other all-in player showed KQ, for two overcards and a gutshot straight draw.

Oh well.

The funny thing about this hand is that if I'd had AJ instead of KJ, I wouldn't have got myself

all confused preflop, and would probably open for a raise (6 handed, seems like a fair bet.) I expect the KQ and the 99 would both call. Then on the flop, I would probably bet all-in; after all, I hit my hand. So it's curtains for me in this situation.

If you'd had AJ in that situation, what would be your play?

Guy.