PDA

View Full Version : Here's an online scenario for you

02-06-2002, 07:16 PM
Playing the Pokerstars $10 tourney...100 players. First is $290, second is $180, on down to 9th place.

We get heads up final table...about 70000 per player (well, he had more initially) - blinds are 2000-4000 for the next 10 min. - we've already played heads up for 10 min.

I'm up a while, then he's up a while...you can only raise 4 times a hand, even heads up - so our oveall statistical variation is pretty wild.

Finally, he pauses and asks me if I want to go all in next hand (he would muck his SB making us almost even again and giving us two new cards)- we just raise and reraise despite what our cards say and make it a 50/50 shootout.

I said yes...for two reasons.

1. It'll probably be at least another 20 min. till the blinds get high enough to do serious damage to each other..

2. He's at least as good as I am...and he figured out I'd call his blind steals, so it's kinda like a crapshoot anyway.

3. I'm bored, and have done better then I expected. (was 10th of 12th place when it was two tables, and I recovered nicely) -

Maybe it was a bad decision...My K2 got beat by his A3 (but not before catching 4 to the nut flush on the turn) - so I'm settling for 2nd. IF it were a live game, I'd have split it 50/50 - but you can't do that online.

what do you guys think...waste another possible 30 min. slugging it out with your equal, or just go gusto all in on a hand. tough call or not?

02-06-2002, 08:07 PM
Obviously if you are happy with the 50/50 shot then it is up to you.

I wouldn't do it. Headsup play and final table play are crucial in tournaments. The fact that the difference is only $110 wouldn't be the factor. I want the experience and challenge of winning. The fact your opponent is close to your level or better makes winning even more important.

Someday you might be in a limit tourney where the difference between 1st/2nd is $30k! You might wish you had more headsup tourney play.

Ken Poklitar

ohKanada@hotmail.com

02-06-2002, 09:12 PM
I agree with Ken once again. You have to learn to play heads up well at the end of a tournament. I would not take this deal unless he was a huge chip leader and then he wouldn't offer it.

However I have a very good record with heads up battles. Save deals for live tournaments where you can actually chop the cash, rather than play a crap shoot.

02-07-2002, 01:24 AM
This is a bad decision in terms of winning poker. If he were far superior to you then it is a good decision, but since he is nearly your equal you have a far better chance to outplay him. This reason alone should be enough, but there are far more important lessons involved.

This situation is compounded by the fact that HE prompted you to end it, so he obviously is not interested in duking it out and wants to stop playing soon. This is invaluable information. 1st it increases the likelihood that he will lose concentration and make bad mistakes. 2ndly, since he wants to stop playing soon, it would follow that he plays more aggressively than he should, bluffs more and hangs on to marginal holdings too long. Hit your high pair and let him come after you with a middle pair

Because your otherwise equal opponent let you know what he was thinking, the balance shifted in your direction. Take advantage of this.

02-07-2002, 07:17 PM
Actually at pokerstars, you can split . You just email pokerstars with the deal you worked out, and they will deposit money in each acct, how you have agreed to it.