PDA

View Full Version : Help!! HU after raising and being bet into by LAG

DrBob
11-28-2004, 10:14 AM
I'm in real need of advice on how to avoid these hands, they're a major money sink for me, but I hate to present a patsy image by always giving up easily with them. If someone could discuss this issue of "contributing" to maintain an image, especially HU, it'll be greatly appreciated.

Villian was LAG, especially postflop, which tempted me into trying the turn raise; he's quite capable of betting out into a preflop raiser when a raggedy board hits, hoping raiser doesn't have a pair. So the question is, when should I get out? My original plan was to get out if I didn't improve on the turn, but the T/images/graemlins/spade.gif made me decide to try a bluff of my own.

Paradise Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, MP2 calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.75 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.75 BB

Peter Harris
11-28-2004, 10:20 AM
raise the flop. If MP2 3-bets and leads the turn, i guess you can fold the turn. If MP2 flat calls, they may check the turn to you and you can decide what to do from there.

I think flat calling the flop was an error here.

Regards,
Pete Harris

Transference
11-28-2004, 10:31 AM
Hi DrBob, I think i saw your name in a few paradise waiting lists this morning.

I would also raise this flop.
I cant say I like the turn aggression and subsequent call down.

Even LAGs get hands and many LAGs do not consistently make pure bluffs. Its often as simple as playing very aggressive when you belive your ahead and laying down when your doubtful.
Its more common than youd think that people get these two mixed up.
Sometimes letting a LAG think he can push you around is to your advantage. If your laying down the small pots and scooping the big ones as you should be then you sir are golden!

DrBob
11-28-2004, 10:39 AM
Thanks, that sounds about right. As indicated, this is a weak spot for me. Any general comments on approaching these HU battles with marginal hands?

DrBob
11-28-2004, 10:45 AM
Thanks, maybe I shouldn't worry about image that much. I ought to experiment with giving up faster with my poor hands, and see if it in fact encourages more aggression. I don't have a problem playing my better hands aggressively.

BTW, You won't see "DrBob" on Paradise; I play under a different handle /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Transference
11-28-2004, 10:48 AM
No kidding, Id swear a saw a DrBob, i think someone is impersonating you! /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

GrunchCan
11-28-2004, 11:33 AM
Fold the flop. Your overcards are worth 3 outs, maybe 4. At 4 outs, you need the pot to lay 11-1, but its only laying 6.5-1. Since the pot is small, tend to play tight. If the pot were larger, you might play. In that case raising is correct. But now the pot is small, so the correct line is to fold.