PDA

View Full Version : Problems at 1/2 (underextraction)

Peter Harris
11-28-2004, 08:14 AM
The problems i see at Party 1/2 compared to .5/1 is that:

a) people are less likely to pay you off from the turn to showdown leading to 2 less BB per good hand

b) it's tighter and more aggressive. Boo.

c) people employ checkraises and they always throw me when i'm pushing a good hand.

In this hand, i think i was waaaaaay too aggressive on the flop. I was concerned that the players behind me may have held the Ah and i had to push them out. This is totally stupid, right? considering the Ah will ride along to the end, i should have overcalled, i think. Tell me how many bets i dropped.

The cold callers are not in my database, i.e. have played under 30 hands with me. From their play i'd guess LP-P.
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 <font color="purple">(LA-P)</font> calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls <font color="purple">(sLA-P)</font> .

Flop: (10.50 SB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">sLA-P bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 folds, LA-P folds, CO folds, sLA-P calls.

Turn: (7.25 BB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
sLA-P checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, sLA-P calls.

River: (9.25 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
sLA-P checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, sLA-P calls.

Final Pot: 11.25 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 11.25 BB, between sLA-P and Hero.</font>

My brother is new to the game and is a river checkraiser. Thought i'd show him a "hand protection" raise when it was, in retrospect, totally unnecessary.

Beat me with rakes,
Pete Harris

helpmeout
11-28-2004, 08:47 AM
Why do you want to cut the field down? you know Ah isnt folding.

With these types of hands I will call to the river unless a late position better raises and MrSLAP doesnt 3bet.

Even on the end sometimes it is better to call if there are still plenty hanging around who will call 1 but not 2.

aron
11-28-2004, 09:00 AM
I think that it would be correct to go for overcalls, but since you wrote that in your post you've got the right thinking now and learned your lesson.
So go out there and get them!
-aron

Peter Harris
11-28-2004, 09:16 AM
chance would be a fine thing! 10 days till my first class exams for my degree. I'm not able to play till Xmas... and after the holidays my workload doubles. Sigh...Looks like for the next 9 months or so i will not be able to get some serious play in.

The upshot is that poker *is* my dissertation, so i get to mix business and pleasure!!

I guess this post was just to show even with 1000 posts, that makes me a pathetic noob at 1/2!!

Pete H.