PDA

View Full Version : Harrington on Hold 'em Excerpt

Mason Malmuth
11-28-2004, 06:18 AM
Hi Everyone:

For those interested an excerpt from Harrington on Hold 'em: Volume I is now posted.

Best wishes,

Mason

jim grass
11-28-2004, 11:03 AM
Clearly defined and followed by examples.
I see a winner from this brief preview.
Well done 2+2

jim grass

1C5
11-28-2004, 12:57 PM
where is it posted?

1C5
11-28-2004, 01:13 PM
never mind, I found it. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

cab4656
11-28-2004, 02:15 PM
Awesome. My pre-order has been in since orders were first being taken. I can't wait.

Men the Master
11-28-2004, 03:17 PM
How come he does not include how you are perceived (a.k.a. your "image") as a factor? This is a very important factor. If you're Gus Hanson and someone reraises you, it's very different from if you're John Inashima and someone reraises you.

benfranklin
11-28-2004, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How come he does not include how you are perceived (a.k.a. your "image") as a factor? This is a very important factor. If you're Gus Hanson and someone reraises you, it's very different from if you're John Inashima and someone reraises you.

[/ QUOTE ]

He talks about image in the first hand:

[ QUOTE ]
your recent activity creates the appearance that you may be on a steal.

[/ QUOTE ]

And in the second:

[ QUOTE ]
You know nothing about the raiser. Therefore he knows nothing about you. The fact that you have been aggressive lately is irrelevant, because he can’t know that, having just arrived at the table. (Did you notice this?) He’s probably giving you credit for being conservative, since that’s what most players do by default. Therefore he’ll imagine that your hand is better than it actually is. Unfavorable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mason Malmuth
11-28-2004, 05:02 PM
Hi Master:

There's discussion of that in other places.

Best wishes,
Mason

Men the Master
11-28-2004, 05:08 PM
Harrington has a list of 7 things that you have to "take into consideration". "Image" should be the eighth one yet it is not listed on there. My friend, an expert named Antonio, says that great no-limit players are always playing against themselves - meaning that they are always looking at how they are being perceived from one moment to the next and using this impression to mold their opponents' decisions.

Men the Master
11-28-2004, 05:14 PM
Cool. I can't wait to read the book.

Much better cover, btw. No longer McEvoy-like.

uuDevil
11-28-2004, 05:54 PM
Excellent. This looks like just what I need! I look forward to getting my copy in the mail. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

MicroBob
11-28-2004, 07:06 PM
Mason,
You little TEASE!!

I want MORE!!

I liked the excerpt a lot and look forward to the book (was already looking forward to it before the excerpt).

icetonez
11-29-2004, 12:35 AM
Where can I find the excerpt?

slydeni
11-29-2004, 05:39 AM
i am a bit new- could someone help me find this excerpt?

thanx much
sly

jdl22
11-29-2004, 07:24 AM
I was going to post a link but I figured Mason must have wanted to feed people through the front page (otherwise he would have linked it himself). Go to the main page www.twoplustwo.com (http://www.twoplustwo.com) and scroll down. You will find a link to the excerpt just below the photo of the (new) cover for the book.

Klak
11-29-2004, 11:00 AM
Will this be out in time for Christmas? i hope so since no one ever knows what to get for me /images/graemlins/grin.gif

MercTec
11-29-2004, 11:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You hold Th Td and raise to $600, making the pot $1,125. The rest of the players fold to the big blind, who has $12,000 and who has played somewhat aggressively. He puts in $1,000, making it $600 to you

[/ QUOTE ]

Shouldn't it be 400 to me now or am I missing something?

null
11-29-2004, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Shouldn't it be 400 to me now or am I missing something?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're missing something - he puts in $1,000 on top of the $200 that he's already put in for the big blind, for $1,200 total, which makes it $600 to you.

MercTec
11-29-2004, 12:55 PM
Ahh...didn't see the way it was worded. I guess Im used to "he raises to" rather then "he puts in"

Thanks for pointing it out. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kellon
11-29-2004, 02:06 PM
Honestly not trying to nit-pick here. I'm a bit new and may not understand some of the lingo. Anyway, in the excerpt, it is stated as one of the things to consider:

"Will you have position on the reraiser after the flop? If the reraiser is one of the blinds, you will act behind him after the flop. You can call with weaker hands than if the reraiser will act after you."

Shouldn't the last sentence say you can call with weaker hands if the reraiser will act _before_ you after the flop? As written, the sentence seems inconsistent with the first two sentences.

BlackAces
11-29-2004, 02:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Honestly not trying to nit-pick here. I'm a bit new and may not understand some of the lingo. Anyway, in the excerpt, it is stated as one of the things to consider:

"Will you have position on the reraiser after the flop? If the reraiser is one of the blinds, you will act behind him after the flop. You can call with weaker hands than if the reraiser will act after you."

Shouldn't the last sentence say you can call with weaker hands if the reraiser will act _before_ you after the flop? As written, the sentence seems inconsistent with the first two sentences.

[/ QUOTE ]
The key word is in bold. He's saying you can call with weaker hands acting behind the reraiser than you can acting before the reraiser.

Kellon
11-29-2004, 03:19 PM
Thanks. Obviously, I better learn how to read before I get my copy. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

binions
11-29-2004, 06:22 PM
Lots of people think the button is the best position to have all the time.

Not so.

The button is the worst position if the raiser/reraiser is in the cutoff. You never want to be the first person to act after a raise/reraise if there are others to act after you.

Rather, you want to be the last person to act. That's why the best position is always one seat away from the raiser/reraiser - on his right.

In other words, you have the option of checking your hand to the raiser if you flop a monster, letting him bet the field into you, or you can bet into the raiser if you choose.

What Harrington is saying here is that a reraise from the blinds preflop is bad because that reraiser gets to act before you do on the flop, and often they will lead at the pot, making your preflop decision very expensive if you are wrong.

KJS
11-29-2004, 06:36 PM
He says the opposite about a re-raise from the blinds. See #3 in the hand example where you have TT and are re-raised by the big blind. It states "You will have position on the reraiser after the flop. Favorable."

It is clear that Harrington wants to act after the re-raiser post-flop. He does not think it is bad that the blind gets to act before you on the flop. It's his preference.

KJS

jdp
12-11-2004, 08:07 PM
Any chance of seeing the Contents please?

Photoc
12-11-2004, 11:11 PM
Contents? Coming right up!

http://members.cox.net/photoc/pics/DSC00173.JPG
http://members.cox.net/photoc/pics/DSC00174.JPG