PDA

View Full Version : chip spewing madness, or solid aggressive play?

umdpoker
11-28-2004, 03:32 AM
the sb seemed a little overaggressive. i have only been at table for 10 min, but i have seen him overplay 1 draw already. also, what do i do on river?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, Hero calls, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (9 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

River: (12 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG folds, ....
Final Pot: 14 BB

sthief09
11-28-2004, 03:39 AM
looks good. call the river since you think he's overaggressive. he could have a hand like 55 or A3s, or just a big A

mizaun
11-28-2004, 05:28 AM
I think that river card isn't really all that bad for you. I'd call, he might show you an overpair like 88 or 77, you might also win, i think its positive in the long term to call here. He is more likely to have a draw + overs than a real hand.

Smasharoo
11-28-2004, 05:35 AM
What's the point of the flop raise?

umdpoker
11-28-2004, 05:43 AM
"What's the point of the flop raise?"

many reasons:
1) i might have the best hand.
2) try to clean up outs-i actually screwed this up a little. with 55, this would have been a much better raise. for some reason, i forgot i had a gutshot plus set draw. a 6 might have actually hurt me, but i would still have outs on the river to draw to a boat.
3)i really wanted any overcards to fold. the preflop raiser had not acted yet. if he 3-bet me on the flop, then i am fairly certain i need to improve to win. if he calls, i am most likely ahead, and if he folds, then the plan worked perfectly.

Smasharoo
11-28-2004, 07:11 AM
1) i might have the best hand.

Sure, you might. The other 3 people likely have 30 or so outs that will make your hand not the best by the river, though. This isn't a situation where you want to get more money even if you do have the best hand.

2) try to clean up outs-i actually screwed this up a little. with 55, this would have been a much better raise. for some reason, i forgot i had a gutshot plus set draw. a 6 might have actually hurt me, but i would still have outs on the river to draw to a boat.

You're esentially raising with 6 mediocre outs, no draws to the nuts, and with little fold equity. You might fold out one person who would have to call two cold. The other two are almost certainy calling, not to mention three betting.

3)i really wanted any overcards to fold. the preflop raiser had not acted yet. if he 3-bet me on the flop, then i am fairly certain i need to improve to win. if he calls, i am most likely ahead, and if he folds, then the plan worked perfectly.

Again being ahead here is meaningless because your subject to 90 gazillion redraws. The PF raiser's overcards aren't any more signifigant than the other two people's overcards. Getting this heads up might be worth raising, getting to three handed from four handed isn't worth the extra bet to me.

Just my oppinion, of course.