PDA

View Full Version : Marginal hand from the BB, pot odds decision on the flop.

AlphaMeridian
11-28-2004, 02:33 AM
Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button folds, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5 SB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>

Here, the raise is to see where I am. The table is slightly fishy, my pair is marginal, but I could be ahead. I wanted people out, so lets see if they'll call 2 cold, right?

, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, CO calls, SB calls, Hero ?

This is where I have a decsion. On one hand, it's come back to me 3 bet. On the other hand, 2 people have called the 3 bet and it's only 1 more SB to me. if I'm doing my math right, I'm looking at: 5SB (preflop) + 14SB (when the action gets back to me) so 19 to 1 on a call, right? On the other hand, what outs am I truthfully looking for here? I can hit the A, and possibly be outkicked, and hit the 7 and possibly run into AK or AQ. OR QT for the straight, since there was no preflop raise, and AK and AQ tend to raise preflop, even on fishy tables.

Help me through this decison.

-Alpha

ncboiler
11-28-2004, 02:38 AM
Could be raising on a flush draw. Call then check the turn unimproved. I would still call a turn bet or at least think about it.

Goon2
11-28-2004, 03:06 AM
It's just one small bet, and you have the TOP PAIR. Call.

AlphaMeridian
11-28-2004, 06:02 AM
Okay, more story:

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button folds, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5 SB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, CO calls, SB calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (10 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks(?),

Gee, I hit my out, but can I really like it here? Although, if there's a critical error, it's probably on my 2 actions on the turn, so here, and:

MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, CO calls, SB calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

River: (15 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero folds, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">SB caps</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

I would think my river fold is good. For 1 bet, with 4 broadways out there, my 2 pair have to be really behind here with as many people in the pot as there are. Thoughts on this as well?

I am bracing myself for the community bashing me for the turn check though /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

-Alpha

Smasharoo
11-28-2004, 06:16 AM
Here, the raise is to see where I am. The table is slightly fishy, my pair is marginal, but I could be ahead. I wanted people out, so lets see if they'll call 2 cold, right?

, MP1 calls, MP3 3-bets, CO calls, SB calls, Hero ?

Fold. Your raise is -EV here.

Where you are is behind. Obviously fold to the 3-bet. Think about the reverse implied odds of the cards to come even if you are ahead.

Would you make this play if you had plimped in with A7s instead of checking the BB?