PDA

View Full Version : 5+1 party tourney

wall_st
11-27-2004, 10:06 PM
sorry I have no hand history for this hand, will do my best to remember the details.

Tournament size about 1400, we are down to about 500 - 600 right now.

We are just past the first break, blinds are currently 50/100 and go up to 100/200 in about 2 minutes. I am currently slightly under average with about 2200. I feel I need to double up again or at least add some chips to my stack very soon.

I have just been moved to this table and have only seen about 5 hands so far, so no good reads.

All fold to CO (about 4500 in chips) who limps in for 100. everyone else folds to me in the small blind I have J10o (suits irrelevant) and complete the small blind, the BB checks.

The flop comes : 5 8 10 , suits once again irrelevant

I bet out 250 into a 300 chip pot hoping to pick it up right there, the BB quickly folds, the CO just calls.

At this point I realize I need to put the CO on a hand, but the best I can think of is overcards, something like KQo, but I do not rule out the idea that he may have a ten or a slightly smaller pocket pair.

Turn comes: 10

1. If the turn had not been a jack or another ten I probably would have just checked unless it was a complete blank. How do you feel about playing this hand like that?

I bet the pot, 800 chips, the CO thinks for a while and once again just calls. At this point I am pretty sure I am ahead.

River : K

I bet the remainder of my chip stack (less than the pot) and he calls.

2. What do you put the CO on each street and how do you go about deducing what he had ? after he called my river bet I was almost certain he had a weak king, but really the rest of the hand I was pretty clueless and was paying attention to my own hand much more than what he may have.

3. How do you rate my play ? I had trouble putting CO on a hand and am not sure if basically committing my whole stack on the turn was the right idea.

ZBTHorton
11-27-2004, 10:50 PM
1. What cards would you have checked? Q,K, or A? If a 2 had fallen would you have checked that?

2. I put him on K10 or A10 personally. Both are limping hands alot of weak/passive/not tight players play at this point in tournaments.

3. Unfortunately, you were out of position. I think you played it well though, had you checked the turn I would think otherwise though.

I assume you lost this hand..?

wall_st
11-28-2004, 09:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1. What cards would you have checked? Q,K, or A? If a 2 had fallen would you have checked that?

2. I put him on K10 or A10 personally. Both are limping hands alot of weak/passive/not tight players play at this point in tournaments.

3. Unfortunately, you were out of position. I think you played it well though, had you checked the turn I would think otherwise though.

I assume you lost this hand..?

[/ QUOTE ]

I definetly would have checked to any Q,K, or A on the turn, but once the next 10 came I felt that this hand was either going to double me up or bust me completely, both situations I was reasonably comfortable with.

When the second ten came I had a much more difficult time giving him credit for a ten, and considered the idea that he may have a straight draw or something like A8, but once he called my turn bet I was puzzled.

Villan shows KK

I was surpised to see this here, but knowing this now I feel like even if I had pushed on the turn my opponent still probably would have called, seeing as he played the turn card pretty poorly.

The thing about this is this is how most of my tourney bust outs end up. I tend to overplay top pair, however I feel like my flop bet was fine and think my turn bet was good as well and once the river comes it is next to impossible to get away from this hand as I have already committed most of my chips.

Interestingly enough this is how I lost my 5+1 tourney as well

We are down to the final 16, I had about 20 X the BB and am slightly over average on chip stack height, a slightly shorter stack than me min raises from UTG+1, I find AJo in the CO and call, everyone else folds

Flop comes J high, he min raises again and I pushed thinking I was ahead. He flips over AA and I am down to 2 big blinds.

This hand I really felt I played poorly but I felt like I need to gather some chips here.

This play I feel is much worse than the one mentioned above, any thoughts on both ?

willperkins
11-28-2004, 10:50 PM
This type of hand is exactly the type of hand that drives me nuts. I play a great game, then end up playing a hand, I really don't like and catch a piece of the flop. Just enough of it to get me in deep trouble.

To try to answer your three questions:

1. I would have checked the turn. I like the raise on the flop, but you did not move him off his hand, so now I would be worried he had AT, KT, or QT. I do not like my hand at all so I would check and see what he did.

2. After he called your t800 bet on the turn, I would have to put him on AT,KT,QT,JT or maybe even T9. Then he calls your all in bet, so I have to stay with AT, KT, QT or JT.

3. Once again, I would have bet the pot on the flop and checked on the turn. If he bet, I would fold. I do not like my hand at all, I am having trouble defining his hand, so I will wait til later to do battle with my remaining chips.