PDA

View Full Version : Why do people prefer short-handed play?

PuppyKicker
11-27-2004, 09:07 PM
I've never been a short-handed player except sometimes live and in home games. Online, I always go with 10-handed games.

Now I am beginning to wonder if this is an error. I've always thought that 6 handed games would be more difficult because:

1. It seems it would be more difficult to build a pot.

2. The blinds hit you faster and harder.

3. Mistakes would be greatly magnified.

Now I think I am probably wrong on all of these points, but I don't know why. I'd like to know why 6 handed is better than 10 handed, from some people with experience at both. I know that it's said that the players are much worse at, say, Party in the 6 handed 5-10 than in the 10 handed 5-10, but is this really true??

Any advice or insight appreciated.

etizzle
11-27-2004, 09:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
3. Mistakes would be greatly magnified.

[/ QUOTE ]

magnification of your opponents' mistakes means more $ for you.

lefty rosen
11-27-2004, 09:32 PM
Way more birds, plus you have to truly know how to play poker even at low limits. Many low limit winning players just play Sklansky group 1, 2 or 3 hands only. If you don't play more than that at short table your win rate will be pretty poor....

joker122
11-27-2004, 10:57 PM
the players are worse.

klassicd
11-28-2004, 12:00 AM
I used to primarily play the 10 handed game also but I am now making a big switch to the limit short-handed game for a few reasons.

1. Short-handed play is much more difficult. This means once you start to become good you can make cash at a faster rate then a 10 handed game.

2. It is a funnier game to play. The hands come in faster and there is more bluffing.

Ianco15
11-28-2004, 02:01 AM
There is more skill involved, so better players can make money more consistenly than in a full ring game. Also sh games move at a faster pace which makes it more exciting to play.

ZBTHorton
11-28-2004, 02:05 AM
Once you get adjusted to the strategy..it's more lucrative. It's much easier to take advantage of a fish when he's in 40% of the hands.

It also helps those of us with rakeback. =)

Schneids
11-28-2004, 02:13 AM
I personally find it to be much more fun. I'm pretty sure I could earn more money multi-tabling 15/30 fulls on Party but I'm willing to give up some earn for a little more enjoyment.

HajiShirazu
11-28-2004, 05:26 AM
I prefer SH play because the opponents are almost universally worse than their full ring counterparts at the same limit.
Full ring is a little more relaxing, though.