PDA

View Full Version : Is there software out there for......................

jmgambler
11-27-2004, 08:29 PM
Dear All,

Is there software out there that can calaculate your pot odds etc?

I still get confused /images/graemlins/confused.gif

You are drawing to an open-ended str8 (after flop) and it has been raised to $4 with say $12 in the middle.... Do I call?

examples like this make me pause I have read the formula for approximately giving it to you but I can never work it out fast enough.

any thoughts?

Regards David

mrjim
11-27-2004, 08:50 PM
I'm sure there is, try wizardofodds.com. However, not to be a jerk, but you're probably better off learning to calculate this yourself if you want to improve. Start by memorizing the common ones (open ended straight, gutshot, flush draw etc). Good luck

Mangatang
11-27-2004, 10:15 PM
I agree with mrjim. You'd be better off memorizing the basic ones. Start with these:

11:1 for a gutshot
5:1 for an open-ender
4:1 for 4-flush

These are the approximate odds that you will hit your hand on the next card. So, you can use the odds on the flop AND the turn (they don't change significatly for the next card).

If you're playing limit hold'em, instead of counting money, just count the number of bets as they go into the pot. Then on the turn, divide that running total by 2. Then, at any time, you can just compare how many bets are in the pot versus how many bets you have to call. If you are getting the odds above or better, you have a profitable call.

deacsoft
11-28-2004, 05:12 AM
Read this article, and your troubles are over.

http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_magazine/archives/?a_id=13913

Mangatang
11-28-2004, 12:02 PM
While I think Lou Krieger is a good author and poker expert, I think this article misrepresented an important point. It shows (in the chart and how to calculate) the odds of hitting your hand with two cards to come (on the flop), but it doesn't tell you how to use these odds.

A beginner reading this article, would think it's correct to call on the flop with a gutshot draw, getting pot odds of only 5:1 odds. Lou needed to either advise to use the odds of one card to come only, or explain how to calculate effective odds too.

But who am I to criticize Lou Krieger?

jmgambler
11-28-2004, 06:51 PM
Thank you all for your advice