PDA

View Full Version : QJs Top pair w/backdoor flush

rabman
11-27-2004, 07:32 PM
These types of hands are tough for me. I try to play aggressive and take the lead when I can. Do you play this the same?

Table was typical PP average VP-48. Villain was LPA VP-58, PFR-0, AF-1.98, Hanger-on was super LP VP-78, PFR-0, AF-.52

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (7 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (10 SB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls.

Should I raise here? I have top pair with decent kicker w/backdoor flush opportunities. I felt the raise could tell me where I stood against the preflop raiser. If he re-raises I'm gone.

Turn: (8 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

When villain bets into me again on the turn I had improved to a honest to goodness flush draw. I couldn't imagine that this card could have helped him. Do I raise again? I didn't expect the reraise and just checked/called from there.

River: (17 BB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks.

I didn't bet the river knowing that any hand that called would have me beat and I'd fold to a c/r.

Final Pot: 17 BB

Nick Royale
11-27-2004, 08:12 PM
Flop: Perfect!
Turn: This is sketchy! I'll just call to get the overcall from SB (who called anyway). My experience of these stop'n'goes is that he has you beaten with a better kicker to the J or maybe an overpair. It also seems he might have come to life with a flushdraw.
River: Well it's not impossible you'll get called by a worse hand, but with this turn action I'll settle for a free showdown. I've had enough of this fish!

Hack
11-27-2004, 08:45 PM
I like the call and then the check on the river. If he is a fish and he made two pair on the turn then you only have your flush draw and 4 or 5 other outs. You don't improve on the river so when both check to you a check is fine here.

I'd be interested to see the results later, so if you could post them a few hours from now or tomorrow(not right now, because there have only been two responses), that would be great.

Thanks. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Shillx
11-27-2004, 09:11 PM
Don't raise the turn. If it were heads up and you felt that the bettor will fold a small % of the time, then a raise would be in order.

Shill

Yobz
11-27-2004, 09:23 PM
Anyone else advocate a raise preflop in a 7-handed game? Been playing some 6-max recently and even QJo gets an UTG raise..

As for the other streets:
Flop: great!
Turn: I call here, I dont think you have the pot equity to raise, but you sure as hell have the odds to call, so call it.
River: fine the way it played out.

My main greivance is preflop and the turn /images/graemlins/smile.gif

rabman
11-28-2004, 02:28 AM
Here are the results. BB had J6s so he probably would have called a preflop raise at this table.

BB has Jd 6d (two pair, jacks and sixes).
Hero has Qs Js (one pair, jacks).
SB has 9s 8s (one pair, nines).
Outcome: BB wins 17 BB. </font>