PDA

View Full Version : Nguyen, a Cheat?

01-28-2002, 09:05 PM
A certain high profile player (who's last name is difficult to pronounce the first time you read it) has publicly stated that Men the master is a tournament cheat. Anybody have more specifics on this charge? Like how does he cheat, using a partner or what?

01-29-2002, 12:35 AM
not certain, but think Daniel may have said tournament chips were taken off the table and passed during break.

01-29-2002, 01:31 AM
several allegations have been made...

Go here for info

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&th=5524a4be79679269

01-29-2002, 01:39 AM
Daniel Negraneu made the accusations on RGP. He also said a few very not-nice and untrue things about me a couple of years ago. So the kid does seem to, lets say, speak without having all the facts.

On the other hand Men Nguyen sure has won a lot of tournaments. Plus I understand that he puts a lot of people in which has the potential for problems. Of course, I understand that Danny N also frequently gets put in.

I think the way to approach this is not to concentrate on who said what about whom. That's because nothing will be proved and those accused will just strongly deny the charges and claim that the other guy is just jealous.

What should be done is more players need to be made aware of practices that are common in tournaments which have the potential for abuse because they stop players from playing independently of each other. This includes putting people in, deal making, trading pieces, floor people accepting tips, controlling chips better, etc. Once enough people understand the problems with these practices they will begin to demand that they be stopped or at least better controlled. Then whether the accusation as to whether someone is cheating or not won't so important because it will be much tougher to cheat in the first place.

01-30-2002, 04:50 PM
there are going to be corporate sponsors, then it becomes extra important

NOT to say that I expect such sponsors any time soon!! just the opposite.