PDA

View Full Version : looking for an online software recommendation

Brian R
11-27-2004, 04:22 PM
Guys-

I have been playing online poker seriously for about 5 years now. I have done quite well.

This year however I have started to play fewer and fewer hours. I have not put much time in outside the table (ie this web page, books etc) or truly dedicated myself to the game as I used to and hence my play has gone down hill.

What I am looking for is some sort of software that tracks my play as well as my opponents play on various sites. I have heard about programs such as poki, pokerstat, pokertracker, poker bot etc. but I have no idea what each offers and which is deemed "the best"

Since I have been out of the loop I have no clue which programs are legit and which ones are bogus or illegal and what they offer.

I play high limit games on paradise, UB, Party and stars and I probably plan to check out some new rooms soon so I prefer the software to be compatible with all these site. Also, I have different usernames on each site if that matters. I also play a lot of shorthanded tables.

Any recommendations please?

Looking forward to becoming an active 2+2er again.

Brian R

uuDevil
11-27-2004, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What I am looking for is some sort of software that tracks my play as well as my opponents play on various sites. I have heard about programs such as poki, pokerstat, pokertracker, poker bot etc. but I have no idea what each offers and which is deemed "the best"

[/ QUOTE ]

These are ones I'm familiar with, so this list is far from complete:

Good

Pokertracker: Tracks your play and that of your opponents. Replays hands. Widely used, recommended, and referred to on these forums.

Playerview: Works with Pokertracker. Gives you a "heads up display" of opponent stats on Party Poker + skins. Still in development. Written by 2+2ers.

Turbo Texas Hold'em: Allows you to play against computer opponents. You can vary the playing styles and strengths of your opponents. You can also do automated simulations to compare strategies. However, the realism of the play is questionable enough that it's debateable how seriously you can take your results.

Poki: Similar to Turbo Texas Holdem, but I'm not familiar with it's specific features.

Poker Calculator
Pokerstove
Pokenum (twodimes.net)

These are 3 programs from amoung the many that do showdown similations. Twodimes is web-based, the others run on your pc.

Bad:

Anything "bot." Any program that plays for you. Especially winholdem, which facilitates collusion. These are not allowed by poker sites. These programs don't seem to play well at the moment but will probably eventually improve enough to destroy online poker.

If you need more details, search the forums for the program names.

ncboiler
11-27-2004, 06:30 PM
Buy pokertracker and be done with it. It's the standard.

Brian R
11-27-2004, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'm looking into it right now. This is prob. just what I need. Can it filter your SH, HU and full ring game play? Thanks a lot.

Brian R

Lucien Jacky
12-01-2004, 06:09 AM
Yes in pokertracker you can filter any number of player. Set it to 2 for HU, 3-6 for SH, 7-10 for full game. It is hard or impossible to look at these sets of stats but it will calculate your stats very easily even on large databases. It is well worth the one bet it would cost you at your level.