PDA

View Full Version : Any comment from my final table play at Empire WSOP tourney??

teddyFBI
11-27-2004, 02:27 PM
(no replies on the MTT forum, so i thought i'd try here)

First off, i'm a good limit player, not all that good in NL or tournaments. But I made it to the final table in tonight's Empire tourney; only winner got anything: a seat in the 2005 WSOP. I finished 4th out of 240. Here's the hand i busted out on:

Player stacks (approx): 23K, 54K, 86K, Me: 31K
I had KQs. Action: fold, fold, button (54K stack) raises to 6K, I think about it, and move all in. He calls and shows pocket 9s, and the board doesn't improve my KQ.

Was going all-in a mistake? The blinds were already at 1,500/3,000, and coming around fast with only 4 ppl left, and I figured the button for nothing but a position raise. Looking back on it, I might have just called to see the flop...what do y'all think

tigerite
11-27-2004, 03:48 PM
Re-raise to 15K, if he pushes you have to call, if he just calls you push any flop..

Myst
11-27-2004, 06:21 PM
Calling is not an option. You are investing 20% of your stack for a flop that will hit only 1/3 of the time.

Reraising is not an option either. If you push 15k with the intention of pushing if he calls, then you might as well push anyway for maximum strength and put him on the defensive.

3rd, the fact that the blinds are that high, and the fact that only 1st place pays, you are going to have make a move. If you doubled up to 62k, you would have had a damn good shot at winning this tournament.

Would you be saying the same thing if you had AK, b/c your KQ pretty much operated as an AK in this situation.

adanthar
11-27-2004, 08:51 PM
I watched the whole tourney out of boredom, and IMO, it was a good push 5 handed. The guy was minraising with a decent range of hands and would probably fold some.