PDA

View Full Version : Noob looking for advice

KryogeniK
11-27-2004, 12:12 PM
Hiya.
I'm a noob to 2+2, although have been playing poker for quite a while on PP.

My brother posts here, and recommended that I start posting hands for advice, and comment on other peoples hands to help improve my game.
So here's my first post!

In this hand, I was uncertain about the flop play.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (13 SB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button folds, SB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (9.50 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

River: (12.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, SB calls.

Final Pot: 18.50 BB

Thanks for any comments!

Transference
11-27-2004, 12:24 PM
Looks OK to me. I might not lead out on the flop after being 3 bet preflop, but you have about 5.5 outs to the nuts in a healthy pot plus implied odds, standard call i think. Youve picked up quite a few more outs on the turn but youd like more people in this pot to really push it.

I don't c/r often but even I would c/r the river.

droolie
11-27-2004, 12:26 PM
Nice job.

MycroftX
11-27-2004, 12:34 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Looks like you did fine, Trickey Ch/R on the fiver, but I would have done the same on the river, even though I don't Ch/r all too much.
This is a pretty straight forward hand, but everytime you feel lost, come post any hand, this site rocks.

Also is that Pacific or Paradise?

KryogeniK
11-27-2004, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the advice!
Should I leave the lead-outs to the gutshot draw and bacdoor flush for when in late position?
Should I have check-called all the way if the river didn't hit?
I am getting to grips with folding at the right time, but my brother has advised sometimes (especially against loose players), to occasionally call to the flop (if the pot's big enough of course), even if I believe I'm beaten.

KryogeniK
11-27-2004, 12:38 PM
Sorry, it's Party Poker. Didn't occur to me that Pacific was PP too!

Thanks to everyone for the advice, and I'll come back every now and again with my bafflers for help!

/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Grease
11-27-2004, 12:42 PM
I'd check the flop, hoping for a free chance to see the turn, but if you bet, you know you'll get raised by the CO. Other than that, I like the turn check, and this is a perfect place to go for the river c/r. Not bad, not bad at all.

Welcome to the forum.

Transference
11-27-2004, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Should I leave the lead-outs to the gutshot draw and bacdoor flush for when in late position?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your only betting with a draw for value, to semi bluff or to play for a free card. Your not going to knock anyone out to often in a big pot and you need more outs to be raising for value. The free card is very unlikely after a 3bet preflop.

[ QUOTE ]
Should I have check-called all the way if the river didn't hit?

[/ QUOTE ]
Why would you call this river with Ace high? Unless you have a read here I doubt your good even 1 in 15. In a very large pot you might call it down for just one bet though.

josh1122
11-27-2004, 01:29 PM
There aren't many normal 3betting hands that you're ahead of on the flop. You don't have position on raiser so just check/call the flop getting good odds to chase the gutshot and backdoor flush. Good turn check/call and river check/raise. You should normally be aggressive but in this hand almost the only thing you can do is to call down with proper odds hoping to catch.

Peter Harris
11-27-2004, 03:52 PM
my brother, everyone.

i would check-call the flop against a PF 3-bettor.

niiiiice river checkraise.

Reply to other people's threads. Impart your noob knowledge.

PH.

detruncate
11-27-2004, 07:07 PM
Welcome to the forum. The flop play you made is designed to knock people out. You don't benefit from doing so in this case, and it's not for value wrt your draw. You also have great relative position with the likely bettor on your immediate left. The whole field will have acted by the time it comes back to you, so you'll most likely be closing the action.

You don't mind callers. Knocking people out is unlikely to increase your pot equity. Ace outs are already questionable thanks to the pf 3-bettor, and reverse domination isn't a big worry on this flop. The K makes it unlikely that your J outs will be enough to win, and this again has more to do with the pf 3-bettor than the size of the field.

The gutshot to the nuts isn't vulnerable in a big field. The backdoor flush to the nuts is even less vulnerable. Since we're not happy paying more than we have to to see the turn and don't benefit from fewer opponents, I'd check/call the flop and see how I like the turn. Best case scenario, the whole field comes along and we get in a profitable c/r after spiking our Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif -- nuts+freeroll to nuttier nuts=happy. Dare to dream.

A word of advice on posting... include reads, even if they're just tentative ones or general table characteristics. Not only will you get more responses if you are known to put some effort into your posts, you'll get better ones when people understand the context within which you're making your decision.

Happy pokering.