PDA

View Full Version : What range of hands is this guy on and should I call?

judgesmails
11-27-2004, 11:08 AM
Poker Stars FPP Freeroll WPT qualifer. 66 entries, top nine places qualify for stage two of Freeroll. Down to 16 players.

Average stack about 6100T. I am UTG with 3700T. Blinds are 100-200 with 25 ante.

I am dealt K /images/graemlins/spade.gifQ /images/graemlins/spade.gif and raise to 600T. MP, a very loose player who is second in chips with about 18000T calls, everyone else folds. Pot is 1725T.

Flop is 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. I have 3100T left and decide to take a shot at this pot and bet 1500T. My oppoonent raises to 3000T.

What do you put him on? Should I call?

I realize I may have been best off passing on this hand to begin with, but I played and and had a tough time with this decision. I am interested what some of you may have done in this situation.

familyteeth
11-27-2004, 01:48 PM
you've got 57% invested, what else can you do but push?
you can only beat a bluff, but you're in a hole and folding here is horrible, leaving yourself with 8xbb.
if you think you can push 8xbb to a top nine finish, why aren't you pushing KQs utg, if you choose to play this at all.
I understand KQs utg is not strong, so if you can't push wait for a better situation

binions
11-27-2004, 02:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Poker Stars FPP Freeroll WPT qualifer. 66 entries, top nine places qualify for stage two of Freeroll. Down to 16 players.

Average stack about 6100T. I am UTG with 3700T. Blinds are 100-200 with 25 ante.

I am dealt K /images/graemlins/spade.gifQ /images/graemlins/spade.gif and raise to 600T. MP, a very loose player who is second in chips with about 18000T calls, everyone else folds. Pot is 1725T.

Flop is 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. I have 3100T left and decide to take a shot at this pot and bet 1500T. My oppoonent raises to 3000T.

What do you put him on? Should I call?

I realize I may have been best off passing on this hand to begin with, but I played and and had a tough time with this decision. I am interested what some of you may have done in this situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Preflop options: fold, call, raise 3XBB. Each can be correct, depending on the table and your image. I don't know enough about your table or your image to say.

Flop options: check, bet half pot, overbet pot. By checking, you probably get either a free card, or a chance to check-raise bluff. This is probably your best option.

If you want to take a stab at it, there are 2 philosophies. First, bet half the pot. This won't commit you to the hand if you get re-raised, and should be enough to win if the flop missed the other guy. However, the other guy might play you for overcards, and represent the 8 with a reraise. Thats the danger in bluffing a scare flop - the tables can be turned.

Second, if you want to send the signal that you have an overpair, and don't want to give a free card to a draw, overbet the pot. This should get all hands to fold except, unfortunately, the hands that have you beat. It's a risky bluff in this situation where overbetting the pot leaves you very few, if any, chips left. It's a better play when you have lots of chips left over.

You bet 1500 at a 1700 pot. When you got reraised, you were getting 4 to 1 on the call. With 2 overs and a backdoor flush draw with 2 to come, you have to call. If he has an 88, 8X, 77, AA, KK, QQ, AK, AQ, or Ax flush draw, so be it.

TStoneMBD
11-27-2004, 03:20 PM
this is one of the times that i like using a probing bet to see where you are at. this board is very safe for a large pocket pair, so if you bet about half the pot it is very believable that you do in fact have a large PP. Betting half the pot here is terrible because now you are crippled. I would fold here and tread onwards as you still have 8BBs which isnt the end of the world. Your 6 outs may not even be clean here.

Sam T.
11-27-2004, 06:43 PM
With the cold-call, I'd put the guy on a medium pocket pair MAYBE suited connectors. With this flop he figures he's ahead, but doesn't want to take the chance of overcards falling.

Calling is tough since you're behind a lot of hands here. Fold and hope to double up later.