PDA

View Full Version : should i have dumped this?

01-27-2002, 03:33 PM
1st hand nlhe tourny, 500 starting chips, no rebuy

im on the button with 88 3 limpers, and someone doubles the blind..fold to me i call, limpers call.

flop comes 6 K 8 all clubs

check to prflop raiser who bets 230, i raise all in, he instantly calls.

turn, river red rags...he shows a7 clubs and im out.

a.i believe reraising preflop or folding wouldve been better, correct? although it wouldn't have affected the outcome, at least it should've been heads up

b.not knowing the player at all, would folding the set on the flop been better? when he bet i put him on ak, kq with a club, certainly not already having the flush, and i wanted to make him pay to get it

is my reasoning correct, or am i way off? Thank you for any comments

01-27-2002, 05:17 PM
It really depends how loose the play is generally but I think you played it OK.

As you say the raiser could easily have had a pair + a club in which case you are in pretty good shape. Even against the flush you can fill up. Just bear in mind that you were in a tricky spot with a set - tread super-carefully with just one pair (even top pair + Ace) when the flop is all one suit.

Andy.

01-28-2002, 03:23 AM
Folding preflop is a terrible option. The raise is a limit raise, but you still get nolimit betting after the flop.

By the way how big were the blinds??? If he bets it up to 230, thats half his stack, and he cannot fold a pair+club type hand, he is pot commited. Either he overbet the pot on the flop substantially, or the blinds are too high for the first hand of a NL tournie with only 500 chips.

01-28-2002, 07:24 PM
Pre-flop you were correct in just calling.

On the flop there are 3 hands that you need to think about.

1) The Ac7c type of hand which you are 2-1 underdog.

2) The KK which you are near death.

3) And the hand that seems most likely is the AcQh. You are a 7:3 favorite.

If you havn't played with this player you can't rule out any of the 3 hands. You don't mention the blinds so it is hard to say how many chips are in the pot when he bets 230. Raising all-in is probably correct.

In the future you should post the results in a separate post so we are not prejudiced in our responses.

Ken Poklitar

ohKanada@hotmail.com

01-29-2002, 04:19 PM
Help me out..The chances of flopping another 8 is about 16%. Should you get involved so early in the tournament with that type of hand? If 1 or 2 overcards appear on the flop (let alone 3 of the same suit) your already in trouble and the tourney has just started. 2 limpers and a "raise" I say let it go...

01-29-2002, 05:18 PM
The one thing that we are not told are the blinds for this hand. If it is early with no rebuys I would guess 5-10 or 10-20.

The implied odds are huge if you flop a set in NL. If you don't flop a set you need to safely get out pending overcards or big betting.

Ken Poklitar

ohKanada@hotmail.com

01-29-2002, 05:34 PM
yes, the blinds were 5/10, Thank you for the responses. one additional question, for anyone but specifically those that responded, how would you have played this hand not in a tourny, assuming same scenario, just sat down, don't know the guy etc. I have little no-limit exp. and was unsure of what to do. thanks again

chris