PDA

View Full Version : How do you beat this tournament?

TOmCowley
11-27-2004, 05:00 AM
7-10 people, pays first place only. One or two decent people, the others basically fit this profile:

No more than a nominal understanding of playable hands vs. raises. Seeing 10BB raises or an all-in called by Q9o and A5o (in the same hand) is not unusual.

Will call flop with most pairs and draws, sometimes bet (any amount from min raise to all-in, almost regardless of texture) pairs, always slowplay bottom 2 or better.

The starting cash is 1-2, blinds go up 1 (2/4, 3/6, 4/8, etc) every time somebody goes out, which is usually a couple of people in the first orbit, and the starting stack is 100.

Basically what happens every time is the randoms throw tons of money around, and not wanting to gamble my stack preflop with JTo, they usually get to do it until 2 big stacks, me, and maybe a chump are left and the blinds are 5/10ish, and I have ~80 left, so I'm already shortstacked. I can play ubertight and usually get HU against one at a 5-10:1 disadvantage, but they aren't THAT horrible or passive, and the blinds are so big in comparison, that I'm reduced to push and pray.

Is there any way to beat this, other than a slight advantage with an enormous deviation, assuming I don't flop pure nut hands while all the craziness is going on, or is there nothing better than trying to beat people from 7:1 in HU (i.e a complete waste of time)?

Bigwig
11-27-2004, 05:28 AM
You beat it by playing an extreme version of tight/aggressive.

But, trap on big flops if they show a penchant for betting out with a 'possible' best hand.