PDA

View Full Version : What is a "Large" pot?

BSXX
11-27-2004, 03:59 AM
Started, but have not finished, Miller's book, and see the emphasis on pot size to guide your actions. I have also seen him refer to pot size in many of his posts here. Not sure how "large pot" is defined.

Question: Not looking for a precise answer, but in the context of SSHE, pre-flop and on the flop, you're holding a middle of the road hand, what is a "large" pot? Is it a minimum number of small/large bets, or is it always defined by your current pot & implied odds?

gamblore99
11-27-2004, 04:04 AM
its always a rewards vs risk situation so a large pot depends on your holdings

AngryCola
11-27-2004, 04:06 AM
You will find the answer in SSHE on pg.145. There is no clear cut line to what Miller defines as a large pot.

Hope that helps.

juanez
11-27-2004, 04:07 AM
See page 145 of SSH.

-Juanez

AngryCola
11-27-2004, 04:07 AM
I beat you to it! /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

juanez
11-27-2004, 04:09 AM
damn dial up...lol /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ed Miller
11-27-2004, 04:09 AM
You might want to reread the subsection "Judging the Size of the Pot" on p.145-6 of SSH.

Having said that, the definition is, by necessity, unfortunately very hazy. The most precise definition I can give you about when a pot becomes large is when it is big enough to change your decision from a tight or passive play to a loose or aggressive one. /images/graemlins/smile.gif That size varies greatly depending on the nature of your hand, the action, and the tendencies of your opponents.

For instance, a pot laying 8-to-1 might be "large" if you've flopped a gutshot to the nuts, but "small" if you flopped top set on an uncoordinated board. That is, it's large enough to draw to your gutshot (as opposed to folding it... the "small pot play")... but it's not large enough that you have to worry about protecting your monster set against weak draws.

Does that make sense?

Ed Miller
11-27-2004, 04:10 AM
I beat you to it!

This is absurd. When I started replying, there were zero replies. Somehow mine ended up like eighth.

AngryCola
11-27-2004, 04:11 AM
Post deleted by AngryCola

BSXX
11-27-2004, 04:14 AM
Thanks to both of you, but the trophy goes to AngryCola.

AngryCola
11-27-2004, 04:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is absurd. When I started replying, there were zero replies. Somehow mine ended up like eighth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just goes to show you how popular your book has become. As soon as I read the first post, I ran into the other room to grab SSHE to find out which page to refer for BSXX. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BSXX
11-27-2004, 04:34 AM
I hadn't even got to that section yet, but I have now read it.

Your example makes perfect sense. I didn't suspect it was a rigid formula, but wasn't sure what guidelines you used in your book to define a "large pot".

Thanks, but I had to give the trophy to AngryCola.

twankerr
11-27-2004, 11:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For instance, a pot laying 8-to-1 might be "large" if you've flopped a gutshot to the nuts, but "small" if you flopped top set on an uncoordinated board. That is, it's large enough to draw to your gutshot (as opposed to folding it... the "small pot play")... but it's not large enough that you have to worry about protecting your monster set against weak draws.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very important concept, I'm not sure I fully absorbed that out of SSH.