PDA

View Full Version : Turkey sandwich Time!!!

tolbiny
11-27-2004, 02:52 AM
How do youlike yours?

Zeno
11-27-2004, 03:04 AM
All you need is two slices of fresh white bread, good butter, a twee bit of salt/pepper to taste or as liked. And that is it, besides Whole milk to drink. If you feel the need for something else, put some Mozart on the Stereo.

-Zeno

daryn
11-27-2004, 03:07 AM
holy sh!t you are awesome. i was thinking i am pretty hungry and missed dinner, what to eat?

tytytytytytytyty

tolbiny
11-27-2004, 03:10 AM
Arrgggghhhh
i left of the salt and pepper (not to mention cranberry sauce, lettuce and tomato).
The goal though was to creat a poll, and take the most popular answers from each section to create the 2+2er.
And i much much perfer good wheat bread (Brownberry makes several good types, expecially like the healthnut bread) to white bread any day.
i haven't had butter on a sandwich in onver a year.

namknils
11-27-2004, 03:26 AM
I LOVE turkey sanwiches!!! I usually just take them with Mayo, Either white or wheat is good but you have to buy the quality bread. I also like my sanwich with a glass of milk.

Unfortunately the dinner wasn't at my house this year so I won't be having any. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

daryn
11-27-2004, 03:32 AM
just made one. italian bread, turkey, mayo, ketchup.

flame on!

mmbt0ne
11-27-2004, 03:36 AM
Pop? What is this pop?

CWsports
11-27-2004, 03:40 AM
pop is Northerners name for soda. I grew up in Iowa and when I moved to Texas and asked for pop they wondered what the hell I was talking about.

brassnuts
11-27-2004, 05:49 AM
where's the choice to add gravy to the sandwich?

beerbandit
11-27-2004, 09:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ketchup

[/ QUOTE ]

this scares me

i eat ketchup with almost anything too

cheers

Toro
11-27-2004, 09:43 AM
Try it with a little cranberry sauce. Mmmmm.

beerbandit
11-27-2004, 10:08 AM
i didnt think there were so many options when making a turkey sandwich. you should have put miracle whip on there since you ahve butter/margerine.

one of those sounds pretty good for lunch, maybe some soup too

cheers

Rick Nebiolo
11-27-2004, 11:12 AM
when i was on atkins turkey "sandwiches" became a mainstay except of course you can't use bread. i'd put some of the better deli sliced turkey on about three individual slices of provolone cheese, spread some regular mustard (definitely atkins) or trader joe's sweet honey mustard (slightly not atkins), microwave some half cooked bacon extra crispy, and roll it all up. if i wanted to go high class i'd secure it with a toothpick and use a napkin.

i'm off atkins but still don't buy bread for the home so i normally stick with the roll ups. like others this thread made me hungry so I ended up zapping a whole bowl of sliced turkey, dressing, potatoes, and gravy. definitely not atkins but very good /images/graemlins/grin.gif

~ rick

Topflight
11-27-2004, 11:20 AM
Wheat bread
Sliced Turkey
Stuffing
Mashed Potatoes
Gravy(brown)
Wheat Bread

Tall glass of milk.

Blarg
11-27-2004, 01:59 PM
I like wheat or rye, either is fine. Either mustard or mayo is fine, but turkey is one of the few sandwiches I probably prefer mayo on.

I love sprouts on the sandwich! Also lettuce and tomato if I have them. And having soup on the side makes for a perfect lunch.

BottlesOf
11-27-2004, 02:42 PM
I can't tell if this is designed for a deli style turkey sandwich, or specifically for a sandwich made after Thanksgiving, using real turkey and leftovers. B/c it seems ovious how to prepare the latter, I answered adressing the former situation and add the following thoughts.

Roll/bun is getting shafted.

Pop!?? You must be from the Midwest or something...

Also, how come more people don't like cheddar? Swiss goes with ham, the thought of swiss and turkey is just odd to me...

BottlesOf
11-27-2004, 02:52 PM
Absolutely nyet. Maybe in the north west of the Mississippi, but in the Northeast, that's not said.

Blarg
11-27-2004, 03:16 PM
Cheddar is not a great sandwich cheese. It's much better as a snacking cheese or melting cheese.

Swiss is a natural sandwich cheese, and goes perfectly with turkey.

Topflight
11-27-2004, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Cheddar is not a great sandwich cheese. It's much better as a snacking cheese or melting cheese.

Swiss is a natural sandwich cheese, and goes perfectly with turkey.

[/ QUOTE ]

You is smart.

BottlesOf
11-27-2004, 03:23 PM
I disagree completely. You get it sliced thin at a deli, it tastes great, and is a good contrast with Turkey. I think American is a fine choice too for Turkey.

You say cheddar is not a "sandwich cheese" and that swiss is, but you really don't explain what you mean or why you feel that's the case.

Topflight
11-27-2004, 03:30 PM
I think I could do cheddar on a toasted turkey sandwich. But cold I think swiss is a more fitting match.

I'm no expert, so I base this just on my personal experiences. Since blarg stated my tastes for me (and because he is a ninja) I call him smart.

Cornbread Maxwell
11-27-2004, 03:56 PM
I used to eat Boar's Head Honey Maple turkey and deli sharp cheddar sandwiches (with dijon mustard) all the time. Sooo good.

The thing about cheese is that everyone's tastes are different, but I vastly prefer cheddar (the sharper the better) on my sandwiches to swiss. Cheddar has more flavor than any of the primary cheeses (American, Swiss, Monterey Jack) and goes particularly well with turkey and roast beef.

astroglide
11-27-2004, 04:01 PM
rye avocado sprouts and miracle whip or yellow mustard

Blarg
11-27-2004, 04:16 PM
Honestly, American cheese is barely cheese at all. It's so bland that it's more like congealed oil with orange food coloring. It's a signature horrible American food, terrible and watered down into tastelessness the way American chocolate is terrible, but even worse. I doubt much of anyone outside America eats much of it or likes it much. When I was growing up, I didn't have much exposure to any other kind of cheese, so I liked it more then.

As to cheddar cheese, I think good cheddar is sharp, myself. That tends to overwhelm a sandwich, becoming the dominant note. Especially one with a delicate flavor like turkey. Good cheddar cheese could just bury the flavor of the turkey, changing the sandwich from an interesting symphony to the monotone of a tuba.

Another thing is that cheddar "breaks" very easily; it crumbles and is hard to slice thinly, and cracks and falls apart on a sandwich. It also has a kind of mealy texture, which again tends to assert itself too much in a sandwich.

I love good cheddar, and it's the most popular cheese there is, but just don't think it's ideal for sandwiches. If it's in a sandwich, it's not bad all by itself though, with mayonnaise. And it's not bad melted in a poor-boy sandwich, or melted on toast or garlic bread.

But if you like it however you like, it, cool. Enjoying your food is what it's all about, after all.

I'm not sure if you've really tried a lot of different cheeses or not, but if you haven't, it's fun to get beyond the basic American choices -- "American" cheese and cheddar -- and try a lot of the hundreds of great cheeses out there. Some are awful, some are great. Most are neither as overpoweringly one-note as cheddar nor as deadly dull as American.

A lot of cheeses and coldcuts have their flavor homogenized - made a little more dull, sweet, and salty for easy sale in the American mass market. Even something like bologna can be incredibly good if you look around and get it at the right place, though. Lots of deli's have the mass market crap, too, but it's always fun to experiment and see if you can find something with some character.

BottlesOf
11-27-2004, 05:33 PM
I've had lots of cheeses, as a course in restaurants and such, so I've definitely "gone beyond American." And while it's true that American cheese is not really cheese, there is such a thing as "good American cheese." It's not pre-packaged Kraft singles, or [censored] like that, but you can get it sliced at some delis.

As for cheddar, you can get milder cheddar that doesn't overwhelm the sandwich and while good cheddars are probably not appropriate for sandwiches, but you can get what are probably lesser quality cheddars that slice well and work nicely.

Next time you get a turkey sandwich at a deli, you get cheddar on it, I'll get swiss on it. Just to try. Deal? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Ulysses
11-27-2004, 05:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
All you need is two slices of fresh white bread, good butter, a twee bit of salt/pepper to taste or as liked.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eating that exact sandwich right now, Zeno!!!

Blarg
11-27-2004, 06:26 PM
Heh, I'll see if I can handle it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Like I say, there's no right or wrong really, as long as you like what you're eating.