PDA

View Full Version : Scotch recommendation needed

nolanfan34
11-26-2004, 09:57 PM
The wine post got me thinking about this. I know there was a discussion about Scotch some time ago, but I'm looking for a more specific recommendation if possible.

I'm wanting to get a nice bottle for Christmas for my dad. Looking to spend around $30-$50. Is that a price range that has some good buys? Or do I need to go higher?

I know he drinks single malt, but I'm lost beyond that, as I don't know much about Scotch at all.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

M2d
11-26-2004, 10:17 PM
I'm not averse to drinking scotch, but I prefer the bourbons and sour mashes. a nice bottle of american like bookers or blantons will rival any single malt around. plus, it's putting shoes on some poor southern kid for the winter.

MelchyBeau
11-26-2004, 10:18 PM
I remembered someone posting about this a little while back, found the thread for you

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1277346&page=&view=&sb=5& o=&fpart=1&vc=1

Melch

pc in NM
11-26-2004, 11:01 PM
At that price range, forget it. If he savors Single malts, you'll never hit the target in that price range.

Most single malt drinkers have definite tastes, and without knowing those, you'd be taking a risk even with more $$

nolanfan34
11-27-2004, 01:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
At that price range, forget it. If he savors Single malts, you'll never hit the target in that price range.

Most single malt drinkers have definite tastes, and without knowing those, you'd be taking a risk even with more $$

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Hmm. Well, that's no good at all.

Better head back to the wine thread...

Mano
11-27-2004, 01:58 AM
Contrary to the other posters, I think there are many nice scotches in this price range. Macallan 12 yr old, Oban, Glenlivet, Cardhu, Bowmore 12 yr., Glenmorangie and Laphroaig just to name a few. You may want to find out which ones he regularly drinks, as there is quite a difference between some of the single malts (particularly between the Islay's, which are very peaty compared to Highlands and others).

Chah Ngo
11-27-2004, 02:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Contrary to the other posters, I think there are many nice scotches in this price range. Macallan 12 yr old, Oban, Glenlivet, Cardhu, Bowmore 12 yr., Glenmorangie and Laphroaig just to name a few.

[/ QUOTE ]
I, for one, would be happy to get a fifth of Glenlivet for a gift.

knifeandfork
11-27-2004, 03:33 AM
Macallan or Glenmorangie probably "best" around for $50, and here in va both are currently being offered in nice gift presentations 50-60$. jonnie black (although not a single malt) is a fine and dandy scotch for around 45 a liter, livet and fiddich (singles) can also be had for 35ish a fifth taste great w/o all the pretenses.

Ulysses
11-27-2004, 03:54 AM
You don't even have to search. Someone already provided you with a link answering your question. If you want more info, there's more detail in previous Scotch threads (search the "newer archives" as well). Plenty of great choices in your price range.

aquifex harse
11-27-2004, 01:21 PM
Hi nolanfan34

Im glad to hear you're thinking of buying some of our country's finest export! I think you should be able to get a good single malt for your price range. Mano had some good suggestions. Glenmorangie is always a safe bet but I would go for a bottle of Laphroaig

Aquifex

crash
11-27-2004, 02:08 PM
I would stay away from the Laphroaig 10 year old that some people have mentioned. I like it, but unless you know your dad likes the really smoky peaty stuff, don't get this one. Even some single malt drinkers don't like it.

My suggestion: the Balvenie Doublewood. 40 bucks or so, good for the price, and he may not have tried it yet. Plus I just like the name.