PDA

View Full Version : Is Soda Bad For You?

theBruiser500
11-26-2004, 09:16 PM
I've heard that it's bad for you from many people but I've also heard it's not bad for you from many other people. I'm pretty sure it's bad for your teeth, but what about besides that, for general health. Is soda bad for you? How is it bad?

Ulysses
11-26-2004, 09:26 PM
Yes.

Reef
11-26-2004, 09:33 PM
yes, not only does it have a ton of sugar and caffeine, but that phosphoric acid stuff used in cleaners- I think

AngryCola
11-26-2004, 09:35 PM
Yes, it's bad for you.

Diet is even worse for you.

Obviously, I should know. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

daryn
11-26-2004, 09:41 PM
what is the logic behind "diet is even worse"

i'm pretty sure that's not true.

AngryCola
11-26-2004, 09:55 PM
It's the artificial sugar. I don't want to post a mountain of research here, but it's VERY bad for you.

Aspartame is the other name for nutrisweet, etc. It is a very bad substance. If you look up research on the web, you'll find out some very bad things about aspartame, and how it's generally overlooked.

The short answer is that sugar is something your body understands and can more easily process.

I'm not saying either type of soda is good for you, but anything with Aspartame in it is bad news, as I understand it.

If there are still doubts when I get back on 2+2 tomorrow, I'll try to dig up as much research as I can and post links to it. It has been a few years since I read much of it, so I don't have the links off the top of my head.

I also don't want to go into all the things bad about aspartame, because any of the reasearch (if i have to provide it) will state the details much more completely than I could.

That said, I think googling "aspartame" and reading a few of the hits would provide a person with a pretty good idea of what I'm talking about.

wacki
11-26-2004, 09:57 PM
It depends on if you think artificial sweeteners are better or worse for your health than sugar.

As for soda, I don't drink soda and I've never had a cavity. I drink tons of lemonade which has lots of sugar my teeth are fine. Shows you how powerfull phosphoric acid is. Mythbusters soaked a tooth in the stuff for 24 hours (1 in Soda and 1 in phosphoric acid) both teeth went bye bye.

daryn
11-26-2004, 09:57 PM
if you post something that says a lab rat got cancer from ingesting half his weight in aspartame every day for a year, i won't be worried.

AngryCola
11-26-2004, 10:00 PM
lol, no it's nothing like that. As I suggested, the information is out there. Just do a little reasearch of your own about Aspartame.

I know for most people, their personal research will convince them far more than someone else directing them around to which sites say what. Happy hunting.

EDIT- Either way, soda is pretty nasty stuff to be ingesting, and I'm not talking about the taste. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rooster71
11-26-2004, 10:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've heard that it's bad for you from many people but I've also heard it's not bad for you from many other people. I'm pretty sure it's bad for your teeth, but what about besides that, for general health. Is soda bad for you? How is it bad?

[/ QUOTE ]
More than one or two a week is bad. They have no health benefits whatsoever. Diet sodas may be even worse in some respects.

I recently lost 20 lbs to get my weight back to where it should be. Sodas were the main problem. It's amazing how I don't have to worry much about getting fat as long as I stay away from sodas.

daryn
11-26-2004, 10:12 PM
i don't trust anything from holisticmed.com

AngryCola
11-26-2004, 10:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i don't trust anything from holisticmed.com

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure, but judging from the name, you probably shouldn't. Don't let that tarnish the aspartame research that has been done by qualified individuals.

I, for one, am not a big supporter of "holistic medicine".

SlyAK
11-26-2004, 10:21 PM
Diet soda gives me very bad headaches... I will not drink it.

Sly

PS. Angrycola, what part of Wichita area you in? I live in Haysville.

MelchyBeau
11-26-2004, 10:39 PM
Just drink beer, problem solved.

May I suggest Guiness. It is a very nutricious(sp) beer.

Melch

wacki
11-26-2004, 10:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just drink beer, problem solved.

May I suggest Guiness. It is a very nutricious(sp) beer.

Melch

[/ QUOTE ]

And is just as healthy as red wine! 2 a day will keep a heart attack away!

tek
11-26-2004, 11:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mythbusters soaked a tooth in the stuff for 24 hours (1 in Soda and 1 in phosphoric acid) both teeth went bye bye.

[/ QUOTE ]

Soaking dead teeth for 24 hours is not the same as drinking a can of soda. Saliva neutralizes sugar in a few minutes (unless you drink can after can all day).

wacki
11-26-2004, 11:59 PM
Saliva, has a Ph of ~7.4. It's acid "nuetralizing" mechanism is due to sheer volume flow and not the ability to capture free protons. Saliva is made up of electrolytes, water, mucos, and digestive enzymes. Amylase is the main digestive enzyme and that breaks down long chain sugars such as starch and does not affect glucose or sucrose which is the sugars involved in tooth decay.

I never said the Mythbusters demonstration was accurately showing the conditions of the mouth. I was simply bringing it up to illustrate how bad soda is for teeth. My reference to Mythbusters still applies.

namknils
11-27-2004, 12:13 AM
Yes, I think soda is bad for you, but here in Chicago we call it "pop" not "soda". I drink a ton of water, it's very good for you, and helps you think clearer, good for poker. Try doing it, it will be great, I know think pop taste bad.

Chah Ngo
11-27-2004, 12:18 AM
Yes.
Soda = bad
Beer = good
I heard they soaked a tooth in beer for a week and it was fine.
Also, it is amazing that Coke will eat a tooth in 24 hours yet leave an aluminum can unscathed.

wacki
11-27-2004, 12:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, it is amazing that Coke will eat a tooth in 24 hours yet leave an aluminum can unscathed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. The surface of aluminum oxidizes almost instantly forming a very hard and very chemically inert coating. This coating is very resistance to the harsh chemicals in soda.

The enamel compund which makes up teeth has a hydroxyl or alcohol group on it which is damn near perfectly designed to be disolved by acids. It is the hydroxyl group which is replaced by Flouride that causes your teeth to last as long as they do. Without the aid of flouride, most of us wouldn't have our teeth by the time we his middle age. They don't repair themselves, and you don't get new ones. In my opinion teeth are designed very poorly.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
11-27-2004, 12:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

IT is VERY bad for you for a lot of reasons. It effects MANY more parts of your body than just your teeth. I drink about 12oz/month (while bad for you, VERY bad, its delicious)

SmileyEH
11-27-2004, 01:21 AM
I used to drink 2L a day when I was in highschool working until midnight most nights at a fast food joint.

I'm still standing /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

-SmileyEH

ps. pop not soda

theBruiser500
11-27-2004, 01:33 AM
"More than one or two a week is bad. They have no health benefits whatsoever. "

I remember hearing the same thing in HS when they said it was importnat to drink milk not soda to which my response was, is soda bad for you, or is it just that milk is good for you? No one in this thread has given a good answer. How is soda bad for you, what bad consequences does it have?

AngryCola
11-27-2004, 01:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No one in this thread has given a good answer

[/ QUOTE ]

Define good.

There are plenty of reasons soda is bad for you, and the information that regular soda and diet soda are bad for you is pretty solid. Look on the internet...it's out there.

I think people have given lots of good reasons that it's bad for you, namely it's acidic and loaded with sugar (in non diet).

The acid in soda isn't just bad for your teeth, it's bad for every part of your system that it passes through. It has also been known to be harmful to bone development, in general.

The sugar aspect is bad too, and has been linked to many cases of diabetes. This is not just my opinion, but what I have heard and read throughout the years.

Those are plenty of reasons for me already, and there are more out there.

EDIT- I'd like too point out that I used to drink WAYYY too much soda. More than any poster I have seen on this thread so far. In fact, that is partly the reason for me having this handle (had it for many years).

It was damaging to my body, and I felt really bad all the time. That's when I started looking into the health related issues of soda. It's nasty stuff.

Sponger15SB
11-27-2004, 01:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I used to drink 2L a day when I was in highschool working until midnight most nights at a fast food joint.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah back in high school I used to drink like 1 before school, 1 at school but before 1st period, 1 at lunch, 3-4 at work, and then another 2-3 at night.

I have calmed down considerably though, I'd say I drink on avg 2 a day.

razor
11-27-2004, 01:55 AM
neither are good for you.... drink water.

namknils
11-27-2004, 02:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No one in this thread has given a good answer. How is soda bad for you, what bad consequences does it have?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if you me "good/informative" or "good/definate" but I'll give you an answer that I think is authoritive/definate (does that make sense? Probably not.):

No, pop is not good for you. The sugar alone is reason enough to avoid it. In addition to that the caffine will mess with you body. I would substitute all pop you drink with water, I have.

wacki
11-27-2004, 03:02 AM
The sugars main negative effect on the body is fat and tooth decay. For most people that isn't a problem. In my opinion the largest negative factor from soda is from the phosphoric acid. Phosphoric acid is horrible for your teeth. Also, since it is such a strong acid, it is not good for your body. Your body needs to maintain a proper ph to work correctly. Many disorders have been linked to acidic saliva/blood and they include cancer, heart disease, osteoporosis, arthritis, and many other degenerative diseases. I haven't studied, the cause/effect relationship simply because I didn't care. So I will let you read into as much or as little as you want about that. I will say green vegetables are very important in your diet because they are alkaline.

I know a lot of scientists that tend to experiment with their body and change their diet to adjust their body's chemistry. (It's almost always the super smart ones that do stuff like this.) They limit the amount of acidic foods and increase the amount of alkaline foods. All of them say they feel much better, but that could be just because they are forcing themselves to eat well. I've barely even stared paying attention to what food does to the body, so there are plenty of ways I could be wrong. But from what little I have seen/read, it seems pretty obvious that I need to drastically change my diet and start eating a lot healthier. It sucks, because I really like being a carnivore.

Your body is just a big soup of chemical reactions btw. It can adjust to what you put in it, but it can't work miracles. Eating better will not only give you a healthier, happier life, but it will probably make you a better poker player too. After all, that brain needs to be in tip top working conditions.

Strongly Acid:meat, fish, soft drinks

Mild Acid: grains, legumes, nuts

Mild Alkaline: fruits, vegetables, berries, dairy

Strongly Alkaline: green leafy vegetables, brocoli, spinach

Ray Zee
11-27-2004, 05:11 AM
too much sugar is bad for you. what is really bad is the high frutose corn syrup you get in soda. read the label. most drinks do not use sugar anymore. your body proceeses this differently from sugar. plus this crap is coming from genetically modified corn and heavily sprayed. but its effects on you body is no good.

Rooster71
11-27-2004, 05:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"More than one or two a week is bad. They have no health benefits whatsoever. "

I remember hearing the same thing in HS when they said it was importnat to drink milk not soda to which my response was, is soda bad for you, or is it just that milk is good for you? No one in this thread has given a good answer. How is soda bad for you, what bad consequences does it have?

[/ QUOTE ]
Is it that you really want to know? Or you just want to see how many can be listed? If you really want to know, do a web search.

Personally I have to give up sodas because I like them so. I could easily drink 6-8 per day. If someone has no health issues and no trouble maintaining a healthy weight, then I suppose they shouldn't have any problems from drinking sodas.

wacki
11-27-2004, 05:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
plus this crap is coming from genetically modified corn and heavily sprayed. but its effects on you body is no good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, what is wrong with genetically modified corn?

Interesting article on sugar and cancer.
http://www.alternativehealth.com.au/Articles/sugar_&_cancer.htm

MrFeelNothin
11-27-2004, 05:50 AM
I just had a nice, cold, refreshing Coca-Cola Classic while perusing this thread. It was g00t.

theBruiser500
11-27-2004, 02:07 PM
"Strongly Acid:meat, fish, soft drinks "

Japenese people eat a lot of fish and I think they are pretty healthy people.

theBruiser500
11-27-2004, 02:11 PM
"too much sugar is bad for you. what is really bad is the high frutose corn syrup you get in soda. read the label. most drinks do not use sugar anymore. your body proceeses this differently from sugar. plus this crap is coming from genetically modified corn and heavily sprayed. but its effects on you body is no good."

I heard a statistic from a friend that every person today eats about 100 times as much sugar as a person did a hundred years ago. Wow. I've also heard vaguely about what you're saying the high fructose corn syrup, I've started drinking Nantucket Nectars (I think that's what the drink is called) instead of Snapple's because the label says it has "sugar cane" not "high fructose corn syrup" on the back. Any book suggestions on nutrition?

banditbdl
11-27-2004, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've also heard vaguely about what you're saying the high fructose corn syrup, I've started drinking Nantucket Nectars (I think that's what the drink is called) instead of Snapple's because the label says it has "sugar cane" not "high fructose corn syrup" on the back. Any book suggestions on nutrition?

[/ QUOTE ]

This probably isn't a bad idea, but it's really just a drop in the bucket. The problems with soda are really simple. The acid can be bad for your teeth and the empty calories are brutal. Whether the calories come from "genetically modified corn" or corn vs. sugar cane is really irrelevant. What matters is you are putting empty calories into your body.

MMMMMM
11-27-2004, 02:56 PM
I did some light research on apartame some years ago, and came to the conclusion that it is not bad for you. If I recall, aspartame is merely the combination of two amino acids. I think people saying it gives them headaches, etc. is probably largely a mass-reportage effect combined with urban legend effect, although a few people may actually have some kind of a reaction. Allergies to almost anything can exist in humans.

Aspartame tastes better than saccharin, and does not cause cancer in laboratory animals, as saccharin does, according to the warning label on Sweet-N-Low saccharin packets.

Of course, huge quantities of anything, even water, can give you physical problems.

Refined sugar is bad for your teeth and your body.

I read long ago that a standard Coke contains the equivalent of 17 teaspoons of sugar (again, if memory serves).

At any rate, I cannot see how aspartame ought to be be worse for you than saccharin or refined sugar, unless perhaps if you have a rare allergy or reaction to it.

Blarg
11-27-2004, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Japanese people, like many people in that area of the world, say, the Chinese, tend to eat meat sparingly and more as a garnish to dishes. They also don't have a long history of eating much red meat. So what meat they eat is limited and tends to be by far the healthiest type. They don't tend to drink much milk either.

They also substitute the meat and dairy with vegetables and fruits.

All in all, a much healthier diet than the American one.

The only thing wrong with their diet is that they eat an enormous amount of pickled vegetables. It's theorized that's why although Japanese have far less cancer than Americans do in general, they have stomach cancer 30 times as much, or something like that.

MMMMMM
11-27-2004, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but they have very high rates of stomach cancer. A relative of mine who is an MD told me this is due to the raw fish and high amounts of pickled foods in their diet.

Blarg
11-27-2004, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I did some light research on apartame some years ago, and came to the conclusion that it is not bad for you. If I recall, aspartame is merely the combination of two amino acids. I think people saying it gives them headaches, etc. is probably largely a mass-reportage effect combined with urban legend effect, although a few people may actually have some kind of a reaction. Allergies to almost anything can exist in humans.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aspartame is made of two amino acids. Already you can see we might be in trouble there. Amino acids can be very unbalancing for the body, and are powerful chemicals.

One of the ones in aspartame is L-phenylalanine. This is an amino acid that has been given to depressives with great success, and even to schizophrenics. It does indeed pick up the moods of many people. However, the side effects have been recorded. As an amino acid, it can easily have negative effects taken in too high a dose. It is contra-indicated for some conditions, too.

The side effects include exactly the ones complained of by people who drink too much diet soda or have an adequate supply of L-phenylalanine in their brains already. Spaciness, dizziness, headaches, etc.

Now, this isn't the kind of amino acid that will make you grow a prognathous jaw or develop breasts, but it's still a powerful chemical. It has proven benefits, but proven problems, too.

Myself, I find I can drink maybe one diet soda, but any more than that and my L-phenylalanine level becomes too high and I get very spacy and find the muscles at the base of my skull perpetually tightening up, along with those in my jaw. Sometimes my digestion seems to get affected. This is the same thing that happened when I used to take L-phenylalanine in pure pill form.

Amino acids are a pretty powerful thing to play with. If I had to choose for health reasons between regular and diet soda, regular soda would be an easy choice. Failing that, I would drink diet soda only in quite limited quantities.

theBruiser500
11-27-2004, 03:42 PM
This is why I like the other topics forum, you can ask a question about anything and there will be some people on this forum that can give an informed detailed answer /images/graemlins/smile.gif, thanks all.

wacki
11-27-2004, 04:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Strongly Acid:meat, fish, soft drinks "

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said, I don't know much about the subject. I just stared reading about it. The question is, not how much meat/fish they eat, but how much alkaline foods they eat/drink relative to the meat/fish.

http://www.chimachine4u.com/AA.html

Matt Flynn
11-27-2004, 06:16 PM
First, nutrition book. Eat, Drink and Be Healthy. It gives recs based solely on known data. The diet recs are simple to follow.

Second, soda vs. beer. Soda bad. Beer good. In fact, alcohol is very good for you in reasonable doses. The famous New England Journal of Medicine article had a classic J curve showing that (after normalizing for basic factors like age, sex, weight and smoking) those who self-reported drinking 1 drink a day were 26% less likely in a given year to die. That is huge. The mortality rates didn't cross until self-report of six drinks a day. In other words, abstainers had the same mortality rate as those who _admitted_ drinking six drinks a day. Red wine may have additional benefits. Some of the compounds have been isolated and eventually will be available without the wine.

Sugar and soda make you fat. People who drink a lot of soda usually take in more calories. Pretty good evidence exists that heavy consumption stresses the insulin/blood glucose system. A recent article from the Nurses Health Study showed (I believe - please look up the number to be sure) a 40% increase in the chance of developing diabetes in heavy soda drinkiers independent of weight. That is very significant. One thing to keep in mind is skinny people do not develop diabetes often, so their risk increase is much less meaningful. Upshot: fat people should clearly not drink soda. Just drink club soda instead. I like a splash of cranberry juice in mine.

Soda does rot your teeth. Phosphoric acid is quite bad for teeth. People normally produce enough saliva that the acid problem is quickly countered. The whole schlock about ingesting too much acid and vegetables being alkaline is voodoo medicine, like those who blame yeast for everything. If you have kidneys, you can handle acid.

Smoking research shows the burning sensation in the back of the throat is pleasant for many. You don't have to give up the carbonation: club soda again. Once Coke figures it out it will be the next Daisani. Hard to believe club soda isn't available in every convenience store. But it will be eventually.

As for corn syrup, like palm oil and coconut oil it has an interesting history. All societies must feed their people. Several decades ago when food prices were rising, the government created corn subsidies among other efforts to ensure a cheaper food supply. Corn subsequently became ridiculously cheap. Corn syrup was an easy way to store and transport it. Corn syrup became cheap enough that soda costs next to nothing (you pay for ads and profits, little else). Also, because it is such a cheap additive, it is now ubiquitous in the food supply. Unfortunately, it is not good for you.

Matt

AngryCola
11-27-2004, 06:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Second, soda vs. beer. Soda bad. Beer good

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, there is a lot of thruth in that statement if it's not taken to the extreme. I remember hearing something a couple years back that stated it may even be better for you than Milk, but I never read much into it, as I'm not a big beer or milk drinker.

[ QUOTE ]
The whole schlock about ingesting too much acid and vegetables being alkaline is voodoo medicine, like the guys who blame yeast for everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

I honestly don't know if this is entirely true, but much of the acid(s) debate seems to remain unsettled, as far as I know there hasn't been very definitive proof either way. I wasn't the person making those claims, but I'm not sure they can be proven or refuted at this time.

For the record, I don't blame yeast for anything. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

wacki
11-27-2004, 06:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Second, soda vs. beer. Soda bad. Beer good

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, there is a lot of thruth in that statement if it's not taken to the extreme. I remember hearing something a couple years back that stated in may even be better for you than Milk, but I never read much into it, as I'm not a big beer or milk drinker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here you go

http://communications.uwo.ca/media_newsroom/story.html?listing_id=14653&PHPSESSID=f154f9a200e1 883aa69ae681fa5c06b2

Matt Flynn
11-27-2004, 06:52 PM
research into polyphenols is still young but shows so much promise. i drink coffee (which still is not bad for you), but should switch to green tea.

matt

Matt Flynn
11-27-2004, 06:55 PM
Danny juice and Snapple are better than soda but not by much. it's all bad for you. ideally you would drink green tea, water and stout or red wine, and eat apples and lots of other fruits and vegetables, but not potatoes and certain others. Eat, Drink and Be Healthy gives an excellent simple summary.

matt

wacki
11-27-2004, 07:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
research into polyphenols is still young but shows so much promise. i drink coffee (which still is not bad for you), but should switch to green tea.

matt

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought caffeine was bad for you, is this not correct?

Matt Flynn
11-27-2004, 07:46 PM
caffeine is at worst mildly bad.

matt

MMMMMM
11-27-2004, 07:51 PM
Hmm, interesting and thanks for the information.

The only warning I have ever seen regarding phenalalynine is a warning to phenylketonurics, I believe.

I have not noticed side effects when swigging down coffee after coffee with Equal, except for that which I attribute to the caffeine /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

NLSoldier
11-27-2004, 07:55 PM
What is Soda? Did you mean Pop?

AngryCola
11-27-2004, 08:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What is Soda? Did you mean Pop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone should start a poll based on the decades old dispute between soda and pop. Everybody always argues about what to call the beverage in question. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm from the midwest, where everyone seems to call it pop. I call it soda, because I think "pop" sounds silly. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

theBruiser500
11-27-2004, 08:38 PM
Why are potatoes bad for you? I figured they'd be good, since they're a natural food. Thanks for the post, very interesting.

JustSomeJackass
11-27-2004, 08:41 PM
From Snopes.com

Claim: A tooth left in a glass of Coca-Cola will dissolve overnight.

Tooth left in Coke overnight (http://snopes.com/cokelore/tooth.asp)

astroglide
11-27-2004, 08:43 PM
nobody in st louis calls it pop

wacki
11-27-2004, 10:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
From Snopes.com

Claim: A tooth left in a glass of Coca-Cola will dissolve overnight.

Tooth left in Coke overnight (http://snopes.com/cokelore/tooth.asp)

[/ QUOTE ]

It looks like that snopes article is a bit misleading. Although I will say that snopes is technically correct, I disagree with how they worded everything. In Mythbusters the Cola did shrink the size of the tooth a little, but it turned the tooth a really nasty brown. Obvious damage had occured to the tooth. Technically snopes is correct as most of the tooth is still left behind after 24 hours, but that doesn't mean it didn't cause large amounts of damage.

Very bad article from snopes IMO. Their methodology of comparing the effects of sodium hypochlorite to cola on a fly is also an example of poor scientific methodology. Flesh is affected by alkaline liquid(roto rooter) not by acid. Human enamel has a hydroxyl group on it which means bases will have little affect, but acids will be very effective at eating away at it. This is an example of very poor scientific methodology. The experiment could not be set up much worse.

I do agree that orange juice and lemonade are more acidic, but this is due to citric acid. Snopes does not explain that citric acid behaves differently than phosphoric acid. Another example of poor writing/investigation.

They also don't explain that citric acid has a chemical structure of HOOC-CH2C(OH)(COOH)CH2COOH, and phosphoric acid is PO(OH)3. That is a huge difference and they are totally ignoring it.

I'm not totally against cola, I'm just saying it's probably not the best thing in the world to drink it like it's water. I don't drink it at all, but that is due to personal taste and not health reasons. I haven't had a cavity, and I think the lack of cola is the reason why.

This is the worst article written by snopes I have ever seen.

razor
11-27-2004, 11:56 PM
The 'soda' v 'pop' debate was discussed in this thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=exchange&Number=1177578&Fo rum=,f20,&Words=supersize&Searchpage=1&Limit=25&Ma in=1177578&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=&dateran ge=1&newerval=2&newertype=m&olderval=&oldertype=&b odyprev=#Post1177578) a month ago.

Here is an interesting map (http://www.popvssoda.com/).

AngryCola
11-28-2004, 02:51 AM
lol, great stuff. It seems like the entire south calls any soda "Coke". Astroglide looks to be right about St. Louis. It's in a heavy "soda" area. My state appears to be all "pop", and I'm only 1 state West of astroglide. Things really go downhill fast once you cross that border. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

waffle
11-28-2004, 02:56 AM
WOW, this is so helpful. I switched from regular soda to diet soda recently [I drink a LOT of soda], and I've noticed this odd spacy feeling popping up all the time. I thought I wasn't getting enough sleep, I thought I was depressed.. I just couldn't come up with a rational explanation for it.

I'm going to cut the soda all together for a few weeks and see if I feel better. I hope so!

banditbdl
11-28-2004, 11:44 AM
Somewhat similar to Soda, but to a lesser extent, potatoes are very high in simple sugar calories while having a pretty low nutrient level.

Blarg
11-28-2004, 02:19 PM
About soda vs. pop -- I've seen them used together lots of times, with people asking for a soda pop.

Here's a weird thing I read about the South once -- that the word C-U-N-T is, in some places, commonly used to describe the goodies of either sex, not just women. Supposedly doesn't work the same for pussy. No idea how limited that is in geography, but I seem to remember at the time that the person writing it seemed credible. Who knows, maybe that's just in one obscure place.

Rick Nebiolo
11-28-2004, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's the artificial sugar. I don't want to post a mountain of research here, but it's VERY bad for you.

Aspartame is the other name for nutrisweet, etc. It is a very bad substance. If you look up research on the web, you'll find out some very bad things about aspartame, and how it's generally overlooked.

[/ QUOTE ]

I rarely drink soda but I often sweeten tea with that new artificial marketed under the name "Splenda" (the stuff that comes in the yellow packets). What do you know of that. Splenda sure does taste like sugar, the pink and blue packaged stuff doesn't IMO.

Also use honey with tea when I'm not on a diet. Coffee is better with just cream IMO.

~ Rick